To get Youth Allowance you must meet certain criteria.
You must be:
- 16 to 21 years of age and looking for full time work or doing approved activities
- 18 to 24 years of age and studying full time
- 16 to 17 years of age and:
- have finished year 12 or equivalent
- need to live away from home to study, or
- are independent for Youth Allowance, or
- 16 to 24 years of age and doing a full time Australian Apprenticeship
You may stay on Youth Allowance after you turn 25 years of age until you finish your course or apprenticeship.
We also assess eligibility on being an Australian resident when you claim and while you get this payment. We also look at:
- if you’re doing an approved course or activity
- if you’re dependent or independent, and
- income and assets
Meet some of our 2018 students
We have 6 examples of people with different circumstances who can get student payments.
Read more about student profiles to see if they match your situation.