Binding child support agreement

A written agreement between parents or carers about child support payments. It must be signed by both parents and can only be made if you've had legal advice.

You need to know


An agreement about child support payments where both parties obtain independent legal advice.

Read more about binding child support agreements

Child support and your Family Tax Benefit Part A

Any child support you receive can affect how much Family Tax Benefit (FTB) Part A you get.

Read more about child support and your FTB Part A

Changes of circumstances that affect your child support

We need to know about changes that could affect your child support.

Read more about how a change of circumstances can affect your child support

Notifying us

You must get legal advice before you make a binding child support agreement. This is so you know what you’re responsible for in the agreement.


  • decide if you’ll negotiate an agreement with the other parent
  • use the Child Support Agreement form or draft your terms with the help of a legal professional
  • submit your agreement and any other documents we ask for
  • apply either in writing or over the phone to have the agreement accepted
  • wait for us to assess your agreement and let you know the results

Tell us

Paying child support

How to pay child support

There are different ways to make child support payments.

Read more about payment methods for child support

Collecting child support

Choose a collection option

The person who will receive child support can choose how the paying parent pays them.

Read more about collection options

Page last updated: 12 January 2018