Child support assessment

Applying for an assessment

The easiest way to apply is online. You can set up self service at the same time. Then you’ll be ready to manage your payments online when they start.

Before you start

If you or the other parent live outside Australia, you may need to apply to that country’s child support authority instead.

Read about child support when a parent lives outside Australia.

If asking for child support puts you at risk

Call our families line and ask to speak to a social worker if you don’t want to seek child support because you’re worried about risks to you or your family.

If you’re at risk of, or dealing with, family or domestic violence:

  • call 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732 or
  • go to the 1800RESPECT website and click on Connect to a counsellor

You can talk privately on the phone or online to someone who’s trained to help. It’s free and open 24/7.

Set up self service

See what you can do through self service.

Apply online

Fill in the online Application for child support assessment.

What may be different

If you’re a non-parent carer, use the Application for child support assessment - Non-parent carer instead.

If you live outside of Australia, use the International application for an Australian child support assessment form instead.

Submit your form

You need to give us:

You can submit most documents online through your Child Support online account.

Start a Child Support online account.

Other ways to apply

You can call us instead.

Withdraw application

If we haven’t accepted or refused your application yet, you can withdraw it.

Fill in the Notice of withdrawal of application for a child support assessment form.

Wait for the result

We’ll write to you and the other parent to tell you our decision.

If we make an assessment, we’ll send your child support assessment notice. This says:

  • how much you’ll receive or pay, and
  • when your payments will start

Check your details

Check that all your details on the assessment notice are right.

You need to tell if they aren’t or if they change later.

If you think our decision was wrong

Both parents have the right to object to most of our decisions.

Read about objecting to Child Support decisions.

Our contact with you

Once you have an assessment, we may need to contact you from time to time about your child support. You can request how and when we contact you through your Child Support online account or by calling us to discuss your preferences.

We’ll consider your preferences, however sometimes we may need to contact you using a different method or outside your preferred contact times. This may happen if:

  • we’ve been unable to reach you through your preferred method
  • you don’t make payments on time, or
  • to resolve a specific matter

Page last updated: 30 July 2018