How to manage your assessment

Your options and obligations for a child support assessment.

Compare your child support collection options

You can choose between 3 ways to receive or pay child support.

Self employed parents

If you're self employed and pay child support through us, you can use most payment methods.

Change of circumstances

We need to know about changes that could affect your child support.

When care arrangements for a child change

If you are sharing care and the amount of time you care for your child changes, this may affect your payments and services.

Changing your assessment in special circumstances

We can change your child support if we’re satisfied there are special circumstances and the change would be fair to both parents and the child.

Disputed care interim periods

An interim period may apply if care is disputed. This is when parents stop following a written care agreement and disagree with that change.

Child support when your child turns 18

Normally child support stops when the child turns 18. If your child is in secondary education you can apply to extend it to the end of the school year.

Child support and military deployment

When you leave Australia on military deployment you need to tell us your new details. This is so we can make sure your child support is still accurate.

Child support if you go to prison

You must tell us if you go to prison. This is so we can make sure your child support is accurate.

While living outside Australia

In some cases we can help separated parents with child support arrangements for their children when one parent lives in another country.

Registering a maintenance liability made outside Australia

You can apply to register a maintenance liability made outside Australia. This lets us collect and transfer child or spousal support under Australian law.

When the other parent lives outside Australia

If you are paying child support to the other parent who lives outside Australia, we will collect your payments and pass them onto the other country.

Choose a collection option

The person who will receive child support can choose how the paying parent pays them.


When a receiving parent gets paid money they are not owed, they will have an overpayment.

Objections to child support decisions

If you don’t agree with a decision we’ve made you may be able to object.

Page last updated: 19 July 2018

Was this page useful?
Why not?

Thank you for your feedback.