Child support when your child turns 18

Normally child support stops when the child turns 18. If your child is in secondary education you can apply to extend it to the end of the school year.

If you have a child support agreement, you may be able to extend it. Contact us to find out.

You can also apply to have a relevant dependent child included in your assessment after they turn 18. They’ll need to be in full time secondary education.

When to apply

You need to apply while the child’s 17. We’ll remind you to do this before they turn 18.

We can only accept an application after a child turns 18 in limited circumstances.

What happens to Family Tax Benefit

If you don’t extend your child support after your child turns 18, you can only receive the Family Tax Benefit Part A base rate.

How to apply

You can apply by either:

Page last updated: 15 August 2019