When care arrangements for a child change

If you are sharing care and the amount of time you care for your child changes, this may affect your payments and services.

Centrelink payments and care arrangements

If your child’s care arrangements change this may affect your Centrelink payments, your concession, and your health care cards.

Payments for a dependent child

If you have a dependent child in your care, you may be eligible for the following payments:

If a child:

  • leaves your care, you may lose some payments
  • enters your care, you may become eligible for some payments.

Rate of your payments

If you have dependent children, you may be eligible for a higher rate of payment for:

If a child:

  • enters your care, you may be able to get a higher rate of payment
  • leaves your care, you may no longer be eligible to get the higher rate of payment.

Effect on eligibility or payment rate

If care arrangements for your child change, this may affect certain payments including:

It is important to tell us if your circumstances change to ensure you’re paid at the correct rate.

Child support and care arrangements

If care arrangements change it may affect the child support payments you make or get.

There are new rules that affect how changes to care arrangements apply to child support assessments. The new rules apply when we’re told about the change more than 28 days after it occurred.

You must tell us as soon as possible if care arrangements change. If you don’t, you may get a debt or child support overpayment.

You can tell us about a change using your Child Support online account through myGov.

Read more about how your percentage of care affects your child support payments.

Family Tax Benefit (FTB) Part A and child support

There is a close link between child support payments and FTB. Any child support you pay or get may affect the amount of FTB you get.

If care arrangements change for your child, we may need to change your:

  • care percentage
  • child support
  • FTB payments.

We’ll apply any changes we make regardless of whether:

  • you collect child support privately
  • we collect and transfer it for you
  • you have a child support agreement.

You may need to give us evidence to support the change in circumstances. You can complete the details of your child’s care arrangements form. This gives us information about your child’s care arrangements.

Use our online estimators to see how changes in care arrangements may affect your FTB and child support.

Read more about child support and your FTB Part A.

Medicare and care arrangements

If care arrangements change for a child, you may also need to update the details with Medicare. Having children you care for on your Medicare card will make it easier for you. You can access Medicare payments and services, including the Medicare Safety Net for children in your care.

Register or change Medicare details for you or your family using the:

Page last updated: 19 August 2019

Was this page useful?
Why not?

Thank you for your feedback.