About court ordered periodic child maintenance

The Federal Circuit Court and Family Courts may make orders for child maintenance payments for children not covered by child support legislation.

This includes parents whose children are over 18 and step-parents for their step-children.

You need to notify us within 14 days of any court orders about child maintenance. This includes orders made by consent, and any amendments to earlier orders.

You are required to provide us with a copy of any order which you can post or fax to us.

As a parent you must do all of the following:

  • pay your child support in full and on time
  • make sure care arrangements are in place for your children
  • lodge your tax return on time
  • report your income accurately
  • tell us about any changes of circumstances.

When a receiving parent tells us about a court order, they can choose between payment options, private collect or child support collect.

There are limited reasons to extend or end a court order.

Ending a court order for child maintenance payments

Child maintenance orders will end at a specified time, or when a particular event occurs.

Under family law, a child maintenance order will end:

  • if the child dies
  • if a parent dies, unless the order expressly provides for it to continue after their death
  • if the child is adopted, marries or starts a de facto relationship
  • when the child turns 18, unless the order says that it will continue after that
  • when the child finishes secondary school, unless the order was made to help the child complete their tertiary education, in which case the order will cease when the child completes their tertiary degree
  • if the child no longer has a disability and the order is for a child aged over 18 and was made because the child had a physical or mental disability.

If you would like more information, you should speak to your legal provider.

Page last updated: 16 August 2019