A free service that can inform and educate you about financial matters.
You need to know
About the service
This service helps you make informed decisions about your finances.
With this information, you will be better able to:
- increase your confidence with financial matters like investment, salary sacrifice and superannuation
- understand your own financial affairs and options
- understand financial planners and how to use their advice
- how to use credit sensibly
- save and plan for the future through investing
- plan for your retirement
- understand what happens when you move into aged care
We can explain:
- the risk of certain financial products
- the roles of financial professionals
- the benefit of reducing debt
- how you can increase your overall retirement income
Financial Information Service officers
It’s never too early to start planning. Let us help you.
How we can help
We can help you:
- make informed financial decisions
- understand the results of your decisions in the short and long term
- prepare for retirement, even while you’re still working
- take control of your finances to increase lifestyle choices
What we can’t do
We aren’t financial planners or counsellors and don’t:
- sell or give advice
- prepare financial plans or tax returns
- recommend investments
- tell you how to invest your money
- buy investment products
- make decisions about your pension
- recommend financial advisers
Choose a financial adviser
Watch the video below on choosing a financial adviser.
Read more about choosing a financial adviser on the MoneySmart website.
You can find a financial counsellor on the Financial Counselling Australia website.
Any personal information given to us is confidential.
It may be used to adjust the rate of your Centrelink payment, if information you give us shows that the rate is incorrect.
Talk to us
We have Financial Information Service officers to help you.
How you can talk to us
You can talk to us:
Bring someone with you
You can bring someone with you when you visit us.
You can also arrange for someone else to speak to us for you. You must give them authority to do this.
If you are a member of a community group you may be able to have an officer visit to speak to your group.
Help in your language
We have free seminars to help you understand your finances.
Attend a seminar if you:
- want to know more about financial matters
- are close to retiring and want to know how to prepare
- have retired and want to understand your pension and the options you have
Find upcoming seminars in:
Payment and Service Finder
Find, estimate and compare payments and services you may be eligible for. You can also work out what a change in circumstance might mean for the payments and services you currently receive from us.
Manage your money
We’ve got advice and tools to help you with budgeting, borrowing and credit, and managing debt.
Read about how to manage your money.
Other government websites
Read the Seniors - publications and articles on the Department of Social Services website.