Australian Organ Donor Register
The national register where you enter your organ and tissue donation decision.
Who can be on the register
You must be 16 or older to register.
What the register is
It’s the national register for decisions about donating organs and tissue for transplant after death. The register lists people's donation decisions.
You don’t have to be on it to be a donor. But it’s the best way to make your decision clear.
- if you want to donate
- which organs and tissue you want to give
The register only covers donations for transplants. Donations for research aren't included on the register.
The register only gives information:
- to AMPs who have Australian Government approval, or
- where a law says it can or must
It’s important to put your decision on the register. Even if you’ve put it elsewhere, like on your driver’s licence.
If you register, AMPs around Australia can see you're a donor. They can check for donors 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Transplants need to be fast, so this is vital.
Transplants give people a second chance at life. At any time more than 1,300 Australians are on organ transplant waiting lists.
By registering your decision you can:
- save up to 10 lives, and
- improve many more
Read about organ donation on the DonateLife website.
Why you should tell your family
It’s important to tell your family your decision about being an organ and tissue donor. They’ll have the final say.
When you die, they need to agree before your organs and tissue can be donated. They’re more likely to follow your wishes if they already know about them.
How to register
You can register online, using an app or filling in a printed form.
You can register online through:
- your Medicare online account through myGov
- the Express Plus Medicare mobile app
- the online form on the DonateLife website
- the Australian Organ Donor Register form
Read our myGov online guides if you need help to create a myGov account or link your myGov account to your Medicare online account.
You can either:
Submit it at a service centre or post it to us for free. The address is on the form.
If you give your Medicare number on the form, you'll help us keep your details up to date.
How to change your choices
At any time you can:
- change your choice about being a donor
- change the organs or tissue you want to donate
- ask for a new donor card
To do this:
- use your Medicare online account through myGov
- use the Express Plus Medicare online app, or
- submit a new registration, change or removal of address details form
Where to find out more
Get the facts about donating organs and tissue on the DonateLife website.