Check if you're eligible to get the Child Dental Benefits Schedule before you start your claim. You can claim on certain dental services for your child.
Before you start
- Confirm your child is eligible.
- Confirm your balance by using your Medicare online account through myGov. You can also call the Medicare general enquiries line.
- Speak to a private or public dentist. Let them know you or your child can get the benefits.
- Discuss the child’s treatment, costs and if there are any item restrictions with the dentist. Do this before you get the services.
- Sign a consent form agreeing to the services and the cost, your dentist will give it to you.
- Have your dentist perform the service.
When you need to claim
If your dentist:
- bulk bills, you don’t need to submit a claim
- doesn’t bulk bill, you must pay the bill and claim your benefits from us
Remember, you can’t claim from us and a private health insurer for the same dental service.
Ways to claim
You can claim your benefit:
- at the dental surgery, or
- by submitting a claim directly with us
If you need to submit a claim, you can do it:
- using the Express Plus Medicare mobile app
- using your Medicare online account through myGov
- by completing a Medicare claim form and posting it to us – the address is on the form
- at a service centre by placing your claim form in the drop box or giving it to a customer service officer
We’ll process your claim
When we’ve processed your claim, we’ll pay the benefits into your account.