Child Dental Benefits Schedule
Will cover part or full cost for a range of dental services for children if you get certain payments from us.
- Children between 2 to 17 years old
- they’re enrolled in Medicare
- you get certain payments for at least part of the calendar year
Who can get it
We’ll tell you if you or your child is eligible for the Child Dental Benefits Schedule.
Parents, guardians and organisations
Your child can get the benefit if:
- you're their parent or guardian, or
- you're an approved care organisation
- the child gets one of the payments listed below for at least 1 day of the calendar year
Children who get payments under their own name can also get the benefit.
- be between 2 and 17 years of age
- be eligible for Medicare, and
- get one of the payments listed below for at least 1 day of the calendar year
|Who gets the payment||Payment|
|Child's parent, carer, or guardian||
When you can get it
We'll determine your eligibility at the beginning of each calendar year. This covers the entire year.
If you become eligible for the benefit during the year, you'll get it from the date you get Medicare.
Family Tax Benefit Part A payments
Your eligibility can change if your fortnightly payments change to lump sum payments.
We’ll cover some or all of the cost of a range of basic dental services for your child.
What your child can get
Dental services covered include:
- fissure sealing
- root canals
These services won't count towards the threshold of the:
What your child can't get
Benefits don't extend to:
- orthodontic dental work
- cosmetic dental work
- any services provided in a hospital
There are some restrictions for dental services. You should check with your dentist if there are any item restrictions before starting your service.
You can claim up to $1,000 for each child over 2 consecutive calendar years.
The cap period starts when a child has their first dental service.
If you don’t use $1,000 in the first year, you can use it in the second year if the child remains eligible.
You can’t use any remaining funds after the second year.
Check if you're eligible before you start your claim:
- find out what you need before you start your claim
- fill in your claim form
- submit the form
- we'll process your claim
Dental health services
There are public dental services available in Australia. Read more on the Department of Health website about:
- public dental services near you
- other dental services and initiatives
Payment and Service Finder
Find, estimate and compare payments and services you may be eligible for. You can also work out what a change in circumstance might mean for the payments and services you currently receive from us.
Manage your money
We’ve got advice and tools to help you with budgeting, borrowing and credit, and managing debt.
Read about how to manage your money.