Child Dental Benefits Schedule
Will cover part or the full cost for a range of dental services for children if you get certain payments from us.
- Children between 2 to 17 years old
- they’re enrolled in Medicare
- you get certain payments for at least part of the calendar year
Who can get it
You can get the benefits for your child if:
- you're their parent or guardian, or
- you're an approved care organisation
- the child gets an eligible payment for at least 1 day of the calendar year
Children who get payments in their own name can also get the benefits if they’re:
- 2 to 17 years old for at least 1 day of the calendar year
- eligible for Medicare, and
- getting an eligible payment for at least 1 day of the calendar year
In some circumstances, teenagers who have a partner that get a payment from us may also be eligible to get the benefits.
|Who gets the payment||Payment|
|Child's parent, carer, or guardian|
We'll check your eligibility at the beginning of each calendar year and throughout the year. If you become eligible later in the calendar year, we’ll pay your benefits from the beginning of that year.
For Family Tax Benefit Part A payments, your eligibility can change if your fortnightly payments change to lump sum payments.
What dental services you can get
Dental services we cover
Dental services we’ll cover include:
- fissure sealing
- root canals
There are some restrictions for basic dental services. You should check with your dentist if there’s any item or time restrictions before starting your service.
These services won't count towards the threshold of the:
Dental services we don’t cover
- orthodontic dental work
- cosmetic dental work
- any services you have in a hospital
There are also some restrictions for basic dental services. You should check with your dentist if there’s any item or time restrictions before starting your service.
You can claim up to $1,000 for each child over 2 consecutive calendar years.
The 2 calendar year period starts when your child gets their first dental service. If you don’t use the $1,000 in the first year, you can use it in the second year if your child remains eligible.
At the end of the 2 years, you will not be able to use any more of the available benefits even if you haven’t used the full $1,000. You can start a new 2 calendar year period if you remain eligible. This means you’ll get another $1,000 in benefits to claim over the next 2 years.
Dental health services
There are public dental services available in Australia. Read more on the Department of Health website about:
- public dental services near you
- other dental services and initiatives
Check if you're eligible before you start your claim.
- find out what you need before you start your claim
- start your claim
- submit your claim
- we'll process your claim
Payment and Service Finder
Payment and Service Finder can help you work out amounts of:
- Centrelink payments, including pensions and allowances
- Family Tax Benefit
- Child care fee assistance
To work out how much money you may get, answer the questions and choose a payment you want to estimate.
Manage your money
- how our payments and services may help you manage your money day to day
- how to manage money and debt
- about how borrowing and credit can help you better manage your money
- ways to manage your money to build savings
Read about how to manage your money.