Who can get it

We’ll tell you if your child is able to get the Child Dental Benefits Schedule (CDBS).

We’ll send you a letter online or by post. You can also check if your child is eligible by:

You can get the benefits for your child if:

  • you're their parent or guardian, or
  • you're an approved care organisation

Children who get payments in their own name can also get the benefits if they’re:

  • 2 to 17 years old for at least 1 day of the calendar year
  • eligible for Medicare

If you’re a teenager and have a partner, you may also be eligible to get the benefits. Your partner must get a payment from us.

Eligible payments

To get CDBS, you or your child must get an eligible payment for at least 1 day of the calendar year.

Who gets the payment Payment
Child's parent, carer, or guardian
Teenager's partner

Getting dental services

To get dental services under the schedule you’ll need to complete the following steps.

  1. Make an appointment with a private or public dentist of your choice. Let them know that you’ll be using the CDBS.
  2. Discuss costs and any restrictions on the dental items with the dentist. Do this  before you consent and begin treatment.
  3. Pay the bill if the dentist doesn’t bulk bill. You can then claim your benefit from us.

If your dentist bulk bills, you don’t need to do anything. We’ll automatically pay the CDBS to your dentist. The amount will be deducted from your CDBS balance.

Assessment timeframes

We'll check if you're able to get CDBS at the start of the calendar year. We'll also check throughout the year. If you become eligible later in the calendar year, we’ll pay your benefits from the beginning of the year.

A child or teenager’s eligibility depends on how we pay your Family Tax Benefit (FTB) Part A.

There are 2 ways to get FTB Part A:

  • as an instalment – this includes zero rate and deferred payment
  • as a lump sum payment

Instalment claim

Children and teenagers are eligible for the calendar year in which they get a fortnightly FTB Part A payment.

Lump sum claim

Children and teenagers are eligible for the calendar year immediately after the financial year of your claim.

If you change from fortnightly payments to a lump sum payment, your eligibility for CDBS will change.


Jan and Peter have a son named Jake. They gave us their family income estimate for the 2016–17 financial year. We used it to check their eligibility for fortnightly payments of FTB Part A in March 2017. They weren't eligible because their income was too high. Jake wasn’t eligible for CDBS in 2017.

In January 2018 they resubmitted their claim for FTB Part A. They submitted it as a lump sum claim for the 2016–17 financial year. We did another assessment based on their tax returns. Jan and Peter are now eligible for FTB Part A payment under a lump sum claim. This means Jake is eligible for CDBS in 2018.

Page last updated: 29 August 2018

Was this page useful?
Why not?

Thank you for your feedback.