Help with the cost of breast prosthesis after breast cancer surgery, up to a maximum of $400 for each prosthesis.
- you’re enrolled in Medicare
- you’ve had breast surgery as a result of breast cancer
- you haven’t claimed under this program in the past 2 years
Eligibility & payment rates
You can get a reimbursement for an external breast prosthesis if you've had breast surgery, prophylactic or a preventative mastectomy.
You can claim a reimbursement of up to $400 for an external breast prosthesis for each breast.
You can claim for prostheses you purchased after 1 July 2008.
Once you’ve read about eligibility, the next steps are:
- find out what you need before you start your claim
- choose your claiming option
- provide supporting documents
- submit your claim
- we’ll assess your claim and let you know the outcome
Managing your payment
The program doesn’t cover other items such as bras, post breast surgery swimwear or internal prostheses.
Other information sources
There are other breast cancer support services to help you.
Payment and Service Finder
Find, estimate and compare payments and services you may be eligible for. You can also work out what a change in circumstance might mean for the payments and services you currently get from us.
Manage your money
We’ve got advice and tools to help you with budgeting, borrowing and credit, and managing debt.
Read about how to manage your money.