Medicare card

How to replace a lost, stolen or damaged card

You can get a new Medicare card if your card is lost, stolen or damaged.

If your Medicare card gets lost, stolen or damaged you can:

We’ll cancel your old card when we issue your new card.

If you’re overseas, we can’t replace your card until you return. This includes if you’re:

  • an Australian citizen who’s overseas for more than 5 years
  • an Australian permanent resident or New Zealand citizen who’s overseas for more than 12 months
This information was printed Saturday 25 May 2019 from It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at when using this material.

Page last updated: 19 March 2019