When your claim reaches settlement or judgment and is more than $5,000 including legal costs, you must repay all care costs relating to your injury or illness.
Care costs include:
- nursing home benefits,
- residential care subsidies, and
- home care subsidies
You must tell us if these care costs relate to your compensation claim. We’ll send a declaration form with your Medicare history statement.
You must tell us on the declaration:
- if you used a nursing home, residential care, or received home care for your injury or illness, and
- the name of the care facility
If you disagree with the care costs amount on your notice of past benefits, you can ask for a review by writing to the Medicare Compensation recovery team.
Your doctor may need to give evidence that:
- the care costs don’t relate to your compensation, or
- only a percentage of care costs relates to your injury or illness