The Reciprocal Health Care Agreement (RHCA) we have with Italy may cover some of your medical costs in the Italian public health system.

It must be:

  • essential care that can’t wait till you get home
  • through the national health service, the Servizio Sanitario Nazionale
  • within 6 months from the day you arrive

What’s covered

It covers:

  • care as a hospital patient or out-patient at:
    • public hospitals
    • authorised hospitals
  • GP and specialist care from
    • public clinics and health centres
    • authorised hospital and clinics
  • urgent dental care at public hospitals

What it doesn’t cover

You may need to pay for medicines and tests.

Your travel insurance may cover these and other extra costs.

What to do

If you need care, go to the nearest health centre. These are unita sanitaria locale.

To find one:

  • check the phone book
  • ask at a police station, tourist office or hotel

Be ready to show your passport and Medicare card.

Read how to prove you’re eligible.

This information was printed Saturday 25 May 2019 from It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at when using this material.

Page last updated: 21 August 2018