If you’re visiting Australia from Slovenia you may be eligible for medical care under Medicare while you’re here.
You need to enrol in Medicare to get a benefit.
To be eligible, you must have been both:
- living in Slovenia before arriving in Australia
- insured in the Slovenian health system.
If you’re here on a student visa, you’re eligible for Medicare.
If you’re in Australia for a short time and don’t need medical care, there’s no need to enrol.
The agreement covers:
- medically necessary care as a public patient in a public hospital and out of hospital care
- some prescription medicines under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme.
How to enrol in Medicare
Documents you need to show us
You’ll need to show your passport, evidence of your current visa, and either:
- a valid Slovenian health Insurance Card
- your valid European Health Insurance Card with the initials SI.
When your cover starts and ends
Your cover starts the day you arrive in Australia.
It ends when the first of these expires:
- your Slovenian Health Insurance Card
- your European Health Insurance Card
- your visa.
If you get medical treatment in Australia before you enrol in Medicare, you may get a Medicare benefit for it. Once you enrol in Medicare, you should submit a claim. We’ll then be able to tell you if you can get a benefit under the agreement or not.
If you're a diplomat
If you’re a diplomat, you and your family are eligible to enrol in Medicare for the time you’re posted here. This means the cover under the agreement will apply for as long as you’re in Australia.
When you’re not eligible
If you’re not eligible for Medicare, you can’t claim a benefit for treatment you have in Australia. But, if you need to lodge an income tax return in Australia, you may be eligible for a Medicare levy exemption. This applies if you weren’t eligible for Medicare for all or part of the financial year. You will need to get a Medicare Entitlement Statement from us to do this.
Read more about the Medicare levy exemption on the Australian Taxation Office website.