Claiming Parenting Payment

Check if you meet all the rules before you start your claim. You can claim Parenting Payment after the birth of your child.

If you contact us or start an online claim for this payment between 17 - 30 June 2018, complete your claim within 14 days. Read more about intent to claim stopping 1 July 2018.


  • find out what you need before you start your claim
  • fill in your claim form
  • submit the form and other documents we ask for
  • wait for us to assess your claim and tell you the result

You can’t claim Parenting Payment before the birth of your child.

Before you start

You should:

Information you need for your claim

You need to give us:

  • original documents to confirm your identity
  • your and your partner’s income and assets details
  • your bank account name, number and BSB number
  • your and your partner’s tax file number

When to claim

You can’t submit a claim for Parenting Payment before the birth of your child.

If eligible, we’ll pay you from the date you submit your claim.

We can also backdate your payments if you submit your claim and documents within 4 weeks of:

  • your child’s birth, or
  • a child coming into your primary care

Start your claim

The easiest way to claim is online. You don’t need to finish your online claim all at once. You can save it and finish it within 14 days.You can save your answers and finish it later.

Start your claim online

To make a claim online you need a myGov account with Centrelink linked.

I have a myGov account linked to Centrelink

Sign in to myGov to start your claim.

I have a myGov account, but it’s not linked to Centrelink

Sign in to myGov and select Services. For help, read our online guides to link Centrelink to your myGov account.

I don’t have a Centrelink online account or a myGov account

If you’ve received a payment before, you can use your Customer Reference Number (CRN) to get an online account. Find your CRN on a letter we’ve sent you or your Health Care Card, if you have one. Then, go to myGov to create a myGov account and use your CRN to link Centrelink.

Go to a service centre with photo ID if you:

  • don’t know your CRN, or
  • haven't got a payment before

Then you can create a myGov account and link Centrelink.

If you can't claim online

If you can’t claim online:

Submit your claim

You need to submit:

  • your claim
  • any other documents we’ve asked for

You can do this online, by post or at a service centre.

If you have a partner, you’ll need to submit the Partner Details – Parenting Payment Partnered form.

Submit other documents

We may ask you for documents to help us assess your claim. If we do, you must give these to us at the same time as you submit your claim.

So we can pay you from the earliest date you’re eligible, do this within 14 days of:

  • starting your claim, or
  • telling us of your intent to claim

We may not accept your claim if you don't give us all of the documents we ask for.

Proof of identity

You may need to confirm your identity when you claim.

To confirm your identity you’ll need to visit a service centre and show your identity documents. Once you've done this, you can submit your remaining documents online using the upload documents service.

Track your claim

Once you submit your claim online, you’ll get a receipt telling you:

  • your claim was submitted
  • the ID number of your claim
  • a link to track its progress, and
  • an estimated completion date - there are different waiting times that may apply to you

You can track the progress of your claim using your:

  • Centrelink online account through myGov
  • Express Plus Centrelink mobile app

If you’re using your online account, the homepage will show the progress of your claim. Once it’s finalised, this page will show either approved or rejected. If you’re using the app select menu and then My claims.

You’ll see an estimated date of completion for your claim in your online account. We aim to complete claims by this date however, in busy periods, it may take a little longer.

If your circumstances change after you submit your claim, let us know. You can:

Check your myGov Inbox

We’ll let you know the result of your claim through your myGov Inbox.

This might include:

  • if your claim is successful
  • when your payment starts
  • how much you'll get

If we need more details, we'll send a message to your myGov Inbox.

If you think we’ve made a mistake, you can ask us to review our decision

Page last updated: 18 June 2018