Accommodation, renting and homelessness

We can help if you are homeless, or at risk of becoming homeless. If you receive a payment from us, we can assist you with managing your rental payments.

Payments and services to help you

Community Engagement Officers can help you access information, payments and services if you have complex needs and difficulty managing your income support requirements.

If you are homeless, or at risk of becoming homeless, our social workers can help you by providing short term counselling, support and information. We can refer you to other support services to help you with your accommodation needs.

Crisis Payment is a one off payment that can help you if you are experiencing difficult or extreme circumstances.

Services to help you manage rental payments

Rent Assistance provides financial help if you pay rent, other than to a state or territory housing authority, and receive a qualifying Centrelink payment.

Electronic Verification of Rent (EvoR) is a secure, automated process that lets businesses verify and update your rent amount with us electronically each time there is a change in rent. EVoR can be used by community or Indigenous housing providers as well as supported accommodation providers including retirement village, nursing home, lifestyle village or hospice style accommodation.

The Rent Deduction Scheme is a free service that can be arranged with your state or territory housing authority. It lets you pay rent through regular deductions from your Centrelink payments. 

Centrepay is a free voluntary bill paying service. Deductions come from your Centrelink payments and can be used to pay many types of bills, such as rent, child care or electricity.

Other government and community support services

There are a range of other organisations that provide support services and useful information you may find helpful. You can use Payment and Service Finder to locate assistance in your local area.

moneysmart logoMoneySmart has information to help you make the most of your money. Read the Urgent Money Help section on the MoneySmart website.

If you are experiencing depression, anxiety or have been diagnosed with a mental illness or disorder, you may find it helpful to talk to somebody about your mental health.

Homelessness Australia provides information on services to help you. They are the national peak body for homelessness in Australia.

Read about the programs and services available for Housing Support on the Department of Social Services website.

Page last updated: 27 August 2017