After your baby is born

There are a few things you should do in the months following the birth of your baby. These things will help make it easier for you and your baby as they grow.


Immunise your baby according to the National Immunisation Program Schedule. If your child isn't immunised or doesn't have an approved exemption you can't get some family assistance payments. You can use the Australian Immunisation Register to keep track of their immunisations.

Read more about the National Immunisation Program Schedule on the Department of Health website.

You may put a flexible working arrangement in place to help you transition back into the workplace.

Read more about your rights on the Fair Work Ombudsman website.

Use the Supporting Working Parents website to find out about your rights during parental leave and when returning to work from leave.

There are a range of payments and services available.

Read more about child care.

If it's before the end of your Parental Leave Pay or Dad and Partner Pay period.

Read more about Parental Leave Pay and returning to work.

You may get a higher rate of Family Tax Benefit Part B if you’re returning to work for the first time since:

  • the birth of your child, or
  • your child entered your care

Read more about Family Tax Benefit.

You can submit your claim for Parenting Payment after the birth of your baby.

Other government and community support services

There are a range of other organisations that provide support services and useful information you may find helpful. You can use Payment and Service Finder to locate assistance in your local area.

moneysmart logoMoneySmart has information to help you make the most of your money. Read about money management and simple strategies for financial security on the MoneySmart website.


Page last updated: 10 August 2018