You may get payments from us if you’re doing a full time Australian Apprenticeship.
Australian Apprentice definition
An Australian Apprentice is someone who’s registered and doing a full time apprenticeship or traineeship under the Australian Apprenticeship scheme.
Read more about apprenticeships on the Australian Apprenticeships website.
Payments you may get
If you’re a full time Australian Apprentice, you may get 1 of the following payments to help with living costs while you train:
- Youth Allowance - financial help if you’re 24 or younger and studying, an Australian Apprentice, looking for work or sick.
- Austudy - financial help if you’re a student or Australian Apprentice, 25 or older.
- ABSTUDY – a group of payments for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students and Australian Apprentices.
You may also get the following:
- Rent Assistance to help you pay your rent.
- Low Income Health Care Card to help you access cheaper prescription medicines and concessions if you’re a low income earner.
Use Payment and Service Finder to find, estimate and compare payments.
Read more about payments for students and trainees.
Sick, injured or people with disability
If you can’t work or train as an Australian Apprentice because of an injury or have a short term illness, you may still get a payment from us. If this is you, call us to discuss your situation.
Eligible apprentices with a disability may get the Youth Disability Supplement. This is an extra payment if you:
- are younger than 22
- are getting an eligible payment, and
- have a physical, intellectual or psychiatric disability
More help and information
You may get information and help from local organisations. You can use Payment and Service Finder to find help in your local area.
Australian Apprenticeships has information and resources about Australian Apprenticeships and available support.
My Skills is the national directory of Vocational Education and Training (VET) organisations and courses. It lets you search for, and compare, courses and providers.
MoneySmart has information to help you make the most of your money. Read the HELP from the Government section on the MoneySmart website.