Australians overseas

If you're going to travel or live outside Australia, check how this may affect your health care, child support arrangements and Centrelink payments.

Key tasks

  • Contact us if your international details have changed
  • Update your international bank details
  • Sign in to your Centrelink, Medicare or Child Support account

Before you travel

You should:

  • know if you receive treatment overseas, Medicare benefits are not available
  • check if you’re travelling to a country that has a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement (RHCA) with Australia - this doesn't replace the need for private travel health insurance
  • take your current Medicare card to access treatment under a RHCA
  • read the rules about travelling overseas with PBS medicine and make sure the medicine is legal in the country you're travelling to
  • talk to us about your child support arrangements before you leave Australia, as your departure may affect how we manage your case
  • read the rules about how Centrelink payments or concession cards may be affected when you leave Australia- the easiest way to tell us about your travel plans is to use your Centrelink online account through myGov
  • consider registering your travel plans on smartraveller on the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade website
  • get any required vaccinations and ask your vaccination provider to enter it into the Australian Immunisation Register so it’s recorded on your immunisation history statement. Some countries need proof of vaccination against specific diseases as a condition of entry. You can also keep a printed copy of your statement with you while travelling
It's illegal to take or send PBS medicine out of Australia that's not for your own use or the personal use of someone travelling with you.

Payments affected while outside Australia

There are different rules that cover how travelling outside Australia may affect you. When you leave Australia your payments or concession cards can be adjusted or stopped based on these rules.

While you're overseas, it's also important to tell us if your circumstances change.

If you live outside Australia and get a Centrelink payment, read Australian Pension News for the latest information about your payments.

Social security agreements with other countries

Australia has a number of social security agreements with other countries to share responsibility for social security payments. If you've lived in Australia and a country we have an agreement with, you may be able to claim certain payments from both countries. Agreements may also help you continue to be paid certain payments when you move between agreement countries.

Page last updated: 18 January 2018