Caring for an older Australian

There are several payments and services to help you if you provide full time care to an older Australian.

Financial assistance for carers

Subscribe to receive regular email news updates for carers.

Carer Payment and Carer Allowance provide financial assistance if you personally provide daily care to someone:

  • with an illness
  • with disability, or
  • who is frail aged

Carer Supplement is an annual lump sum payment to help you with the costs of caring for a person with disability or a medical condition.

A Special Disability Trust helps immediate family members of people with severe disability make a private financial provision for their future care and accommodation needs.

Financial assistance for people needing care

There are payments to help you with the cost of medical equipment you may need due to a disability or medical condition.

Essential Medical Equipment Payment helps with the additional running costs of essential medical equipment or medically required heating and cooling.

The Financial Information Service is a free and confidential service that provides education and information on financial matters to all Australians.

Tell us if your situation changes

It is important you tell us if your situation changes, for example, if you change your address or if the person for whom you provide care changes address, goes into respite care or hospital, or needs less care. You also need to report changes to your income.

You can contact us online, in writing, by phone or by visiting your local service centre.

Other government and community support services

There are a range of other organisations that provide support services and useful information you may find helpful. You can use Payment and Service Finder to locate assistance in your local area.

moneysmart logoMoneySmart has information to help you make the most of your money. Read the Aged care section on the MoneySmart website.

If you are experiencing depression, anxiety or stress, you may find it helpful to talk to somebody about your mental health situation.

My Aged Care provides information on a wide range of community, aged care and support services.

Page last updated: 27 August 2017