Caring for someone with an illness or disability

Financial assistance and services are available if you provide care to someone who has a disability, illness or is frail aged.

Subscribe to receive regular email news updates for carers.

Financial assistance for carers

Carer Payment and Carer Allowance can provide financial assistance if you provide care every day to someone with a disability, illness, or who is frail aged.

Carer Supplement is an annual lump sum payment to help you with the costs of caring for a person with a disability.

Carer Adjustment Payment can provide one off financial assistance to help you with the care needs of a child aged under 7 years after a sudden accident, illness or disability.

Child Disability Assistance Payment is an annual payment that helps you with the costs of caring for a child with a disability.

The Assistance for Isolated Children Scheme can help parents and carers of school aged students who cannot go to state school on a daily basis because they have a disability or have special health needs.

A Special Disability Trust helps immediate family members of people with severe disabilities make a private financial provision for their future care and accommodation needs.

Financial assistance for people needing care

There are payments to help you with the cost of medical equipment you need due to your disability or illness.

The Continence Aids Payment Scheme provides an annual payment to cover the cost of buying continence products from the supplier of your choice.

The Essential Medical Equipment Payment is an annual $140 payment if you experience additional increases in home energy costs from the use of essential medical equipment to manage your disability or medical condition.

Tell us if your situation changes

It is important that you tell us if your situation changes. For example, if the child for whom you care for goes into respite care, hospital or needs less care. You also need to report changes to your income.

You can contact us online, in writing, by phone or by visiting us at one of our service centres.

Other government and community support services

There are a range of other organisations that provide support services and useful information you may find helpful. You can use Payment and Service Finder to locate assistance in your local area.

moneysmart-logoMoneySmart has information to help you make the most of your money. Read the Budget planner section on the MoneySmart website.

Better Start for Children with Disability Initiative provides information about early intervention services and treatments for eligible children with disability.

Helping Children with Autism package provides information about support and services for children with Autism Spectrum Disorders, their families and carers

If you are experiencing depression, anxiety or stress, you may find it helpful to talk to somebody about your mental health situation. connects you to information and services across Australia including information about caring for others.

Carers Australia provides information about the needs and interests of carers at the national level. The members of this peak body are from the 8 state and territory Carers Associations.

My Aged Care provides information about a wide range of community, aged care and support services.

National Disability Insurance Scheme provides information about a new way of providing community linking and individualised support for people with permanent significant disability, their families and carers.

Page last updated: 27 August 2017