We can help if you’re in severe financial hardship, recovering from a disaster, or need special assistance.
Payments to help you in a crisis
If you already get an income support payment, you may be able to receive an advance lump sum payment.
The type of payment you may be able to get depends on your situation, such as:
- Crisis Payment - a one off immediate payment if you’re in severe financial hardship and extreme circumstances
- Special Benefit - if you’re not able to support yourself or your dependents, and you can’t get any other income support payment or benefit
- Carer Adjustment Payment - a one off payment if you provide care for a child under 7 years of age and has a severe condition or major disability following a catastrophic event
- Pension Loans Scheme - if you have capital tied up in Australian real estate assets and you need more income to live on
- Early release of your superannuation - help with unpaid expenses based on compassionate grounds or if you’re experiencing severe financial hardship
Help in a crisis
- Social workers - short term counselling, support and referral to other services
- Community Engagement Officers - working within community organisations to provide you access to our services
- Centrepay - pay bills and expenses as regular deductions from your Centrelink payments, making it easier for you to budget
- Financial Information Service - education and information about financial issues
Other government and community support services
There are a range of other organisations that provide support services and useful information you may find helpful. You can use Payment and Service Finder to locate assistance in your local area.
If you are experiencing depression, anxiety or stress, you may find it helpful to talk to somebody about your mental health.
Offers tips and tools to help you make the most of your money, including details of charities and community organisations that can help with:
- one off food, transport or chemist vouchers
- rent or accommodation
- part payment of electricity, gas or water bills
- food parcels or clothing
- budgeting or referrals to other programs
Read more about urgent money help on the MoneySmart website.