Crisis and special help

We can help if you’re in severe financial hardship, recovering from a disaster, or need special assistance.

Payments to help you in a crisis

We have payments to help in crisis situations.

The type of payment you may be able to get depends on your situation.

Crisis Payment is a one off payment if you’re in severe financial hardship and extreme circumstances.

Carer Adjustment Payment is a one off payment if your child under 7 gets a severe illness or major disability. The illness or disability must be because of a catastrophic event.

Pension Loans Scheme is a fortnightly loan payment using equity in real estate assets you own in Australia.

You can get an early release of your super to help with unpaid expenses. You can apply based on compassionate grounds from the Australian Taxation Office. If you're in severe financial hardship apply to your super fund.

If you already get an income support payment, you may be able to get an advance lump sum payment.

Special Benefit may be able to help support you or your dependents. This is only if you can’t get any other income support payment or benefit.

Services to help you in a crisis

We have a range of services to help you in a crisis.

Our social workers provide short term counselling, support and can refer you to other services.

Our Community Engagement Officers help you access payments and services if you find it hard to access them.

You can use Centrepay to pay bills and expenses as regular deductions from your Centrelink payments. This can make it easier for you to budget.

Financial Information Service provides education and information about financial matters. You can go to one in your local area.

Other support services that can help you

There are a range of other organisations that provide support services and useful information. You can use Payment and Service Finder to locate help in your local area. This can include counselling and mental health services.


Offers tips and tools to help you make the most of your money. This includes charities and community organisations that can help with:

  • one off food, transport or chemist vouchers
  • rent or accommodation
  • part payment of electricity, gas or water bills
  • food parcels or clothing
  • budgeting or referrals to other programs

Read more about urgent money help on the MoneySmart website.

Related subjects

Page last updated: 15 November 2018

Was this page useful?
Why not?

Thank you for your feedback.