Disabled, ill or injured and looking for work

We provide financial support and help to people with disability, illness or injury. This support can help you study or find and keep a job.

Financial help

Mobility Allowance helps you work, study or look for work if you have a disability, illness or injury. It can help with costs if you can’t use public transport without a lot of help.

Sickness Allowance helps you if you can’t work or study for a while because of illness, injury or disability.

Pensioner Education Supplement can help you find a job by doing further study. It helps with the costs of full time or part time study in a secondary or tertiary course.

It’s important you tell us if your circumstances change. Keeping us up to date means you get the correct payment from us.

Child support

If you pay or get child support, changes in your life may affect the amount you pay or get.

To update your child support arrangement:

Read more about changes that affect your child support.

Employment Services Providers

We may refer you to an Employment Services Provider such as:

  • jobactive
  • Disability Employment Services, or
  • Community Development Program, if you live in a remote area

Read more about:

We can refer you to an Employment Services Provider in your area. They can help you access:

  • jobs in your area
  • job search help, training and equipment such as computers, telephones and stationery

Work Assist can help if you’re at risk of losing your job due to your:

  • illness
  • injury, or
  • disability

Under this free program you may get help to keep your job. You can access it by registering with a Disability Employment Services provider. You don’t need to be getting a payment from us to access the service.

Supported Wage System

You can increase your chance of getting a job under the Supported Wage System. Your employer can pay you a productivity-based wage if you have disability.

Read more about the Supported Wage System on the Department of Jobs and Small Business website.

Wage subsidies

Disability Employment Services can pay a wage subsidy to employers of people with disability.

Read more about wage subsidies on the Department of Jobs and Small Business website.

Other government and community support services

These organisations can give you support and information.

You can use our Payment and Service Finder to find help in your local area.

National Relay Service is a free telephone service if you’re deaf, hearing or speech impaired. It can help you make a call through a third person.

Disabled Australian Apprentice Wage Support pays employers who employ apprentices with disability.

Australian Disability Enterprises offer supported employment opportunites for people with disability.

Employment Assistance Fund helps employers of people with disability and mental health conditions. The fund pays for workplace modifications or services for these employees.

This can help if you:

  • are about to start a job
  • are currently working
  • need help to find and prepare for work

National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) provides support for people with disability.

It helps meet the needs of people with an impairment or condition that:

  • is likely to be permanent or lifelong
  • stops them from doing everyday things by themselves

JobAccess offers help for people with disability looking for work and their employers.

Health Direct informs you about how to improve your health and wellbeing.

You may find it helpful to talk to somebody about your mental health. You may find it helps if you’re experiencing:

  • depression
  • anxiety, or
  • stress

MoneySmart helps you make the most of your money. Read the Budget planner section on the MoneySmart website.

Related subjects

Page last updated: 13 April 2019

Was this page useful?
Why not?

Thank you for your feedback.