We check your employment income is correct so you get the right amount.
We have a duty to protect the Australian welfare system.
Our compliance program helps to identify incorrect payments, adjust payments or recover money owed.
We match data with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) and other government agencies as part of this process.
Watch our video to learn why it’s important to confirm your employment income and what you need to do.
You can also view our Centrelink online guides for instructions. Our guides tell you how to:
- access your review
- register and log in
- check your employment details
- check and enter your income details
- request an extension
Getting a letter
We’ll send you a letter if we’ve found the employment income details we have from the ATO are different from the details you gave us.
It’s important to know this letter is not a debt letter. Our letter asks you to check the information provided by the ATO carefully. You need to check the:
- name of your employer or employers
- dates you worked for them
- amount of income you earned
You should check if your employer uses a name other than their registered business name. You might find this information on your:
- bank statements
- pay slips
- group certificates
- payment summary
You should also confirm the dates you worked for your employer. The dates you worked and how much you earned affect how we calculate your payment amount.
Make sure you enter your income for each fortnight. How much you earn may vary so you should check your pay slips or bank statements for the correct details. We may ask you to send us copies of these.
You can call us on 1800 086 400 if you need help. You can call between 8 am and 5 pm, Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays.
You have 28 days from the day you get your letter to check your information. If you need more time, you can ask for an extension online or you can call us. We’ll send you a reminder letter after 14 days.
If you don’t confirm or update your information we may apply the information from the ATO to your record. This may result in a debt you will need to pay.
Getting your details ready
You’ll need your employment and income details ready before you start the review.
Employment income, also known as earnings, is what an employee gets in return for work they’ve done.
Examples of employment income include:
- allowance in excess of relevant expenses
- pay for piece work, for example, pay for an amount of fruit picked
- fixed and variable price contracts
- fringe benefits related to employment
- payment from your own private trusts, but not distributions
- payment from your own company, but not dividends
- regular drawings of income we recognise as being for work performed, even if they may be non-remunerative lump sums
Employment income you and your partner earn may affect your rate of payment from us.
You may need the following paperwork about your income:
- pay slips
- separation certificates
- group certificate or payment summary
- bank statements for the account or accounts your employer pays your income into
If your employer pays your income into more than 1 account, make sure you have statements for all these accounts. You can get these from your bank or financial provider for up to 7 years.
Confirming your employment income
Use our Employment Income Confirmation service to confirm or update your employment details online.
There are two ways to get started.
Using your Centrelink online account
If you have a Centrelink online account you can:
- sign in to myGov and select Centrelink
- select Employment Income Confirmation then Employment Income from the main menu, or
- select the Review employment information task
Use our online guide for Accessing your Employment Income Confirmation using your Centrelink online account if you need help.
Using the URL and confirmation code
Use the URL and confirmation code in your letter to log in to the Employment Income Confirmation, if:
- you don’t have a Centrelink online account, or
- you don’t want to use it
You’ll need these things to register:
- your customer reference number and confirmation code from your letter
- your current Medicare card and either a current Australian driver licence or current Australian passport so we can prove your identity
- an email address or mobile phone number so we can send you a security code
Read our online guide for Registering and logging in using the URL and Confirmation code for more information.
Confirm your employment details
You’ll need to check your employment details and confirm if you worked for each employer listed.
Read our online guide for Checking your employment details.
Confirm and enter your employment income details
You’ll need to confirm and enter your employment income details for each employer listed.
Read the online guide for Checking and entering your employment income details.
Requesting an extension
You can ask for an extension if you need more time to do your review. After you’ve logged into the Employment Income Confirmation service, select Need more time?. Or call us on 1800 086 400.
Read our online guide for Requesting an extension for more information.
Understanding your assessment result
Once you’ve completed your employment income confirmation, you’ll get an assessment result.
The Assessment Result page helps you understand the assessment. You’ll find these tabs across the top of the page:
- Debt explanation gives details on how we calculated the debt
- Centrelink payment history shows the Centrelink payments you got each fortnight
- You reported to Centrelink shows the income you’ve reported to us in the past
- What you just told us is a summary of the details you entered in the review
Call us on 1800 086 400 if you:
- believe the assessment result is incorrect, or
- you’ve made a mistake
You can give us new information and we’ll reassess your situation. You can also ask for a review at any time.
It’s important you tell us if your circumstances change. Keeping us up to date means we can assess your circumstances correctly and make the right payment.
You need to tell us if there are changes to:
- your personal and contact details
- your bank details
- your relationship status, for example if you become partnered or separate from your partner
- care arrangements for anyone in your care, including your children
- your work status and income your earn
You also need to tell us if:
- you’re leaving the country, temporarily or permanently
- you get a lump sum payment
- your income or assets change, including your partner's income and assets
- you have started or finished studying
If you need help with your Employment Income Confirmation, call 1800 086 400 and talk to a Compliance Officer. Please make sure you have all your relevant employment income details ready.
You can call us if you’ve lost or forgotten your confirmation code. You may need to answer some questions to help us identify you.
Remember, you can call us yourself or appoint someone to deal with us on your behalf.
If you don’t have internet access, you can go to any of our service centres. We also offer a referral service to our social work services.