Centrelink online accounts are currently unavailable due to scheduled maintenance.

Child Support online accounts may experience intermittent issues due to scheduled maintenance.

Medicare online accounts are currently unavailable due to scheduled maintenance.


Centrelink online accounts are currently unavailable due to scheduled maintenance.

Child Support online accounts may experience intermittent issues due to scheduled maintenance.

Medicare online accounts are currently unavailable due to scheduled maintenance.


Employment income confirmation

We check your employment income is correct so you get the right amount.

Our compliance program

We have an obligation to protect the integrity of the Australian welfare system.

As a part of this process we match data with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) and other government agencies.

As part of our usual compliance program we identify incorrect payments, adjust payments or recover money owed if needed.

Confirm your employment income

Watch our video to learn why it is important to confirm your employment income.

Employment income confirmation letters

You’ll get a letter if there’s a difference in the employment income details provided by the ATO and the details you reported to us.

Please note, these are not debt letters. Our letter will ask you to check the information provided by the ATO carefully. You need to check the:

  • name of your employer or employers
  • dates you worked for them
  • amount of income you earned

You should check your details carefully to make sure your employer doesn't use a name other than their registered business name. You might find this information on your bank statements, pay slips, group certificates or payment summary.

You should also check the dates you worked for your employer and the income amounts against your group certificates, payment summary or separation certificate. The dates you worked and your income details affect how we calculate your payment amount.

Make sure you enter your income for each fortnight. Remember, your income may vary so you should check your pay slips or bank statements for the correct income information. We may ask you to send us copies of these.

You can call us on 1800 086 400 if you need help.

You have 28 days from the day you collect your letter to confirm or update your details. We will send you a reminder letter after 14 days. If you need more time, you can ask for an extension online.

If you don’t confirm or update your information we may apply the employment income and dates from the ATO to your record.

This may result in a debt you will need to repay.

Call us on 1800 086 400 if you need help.

Before you start your Employment Income Confirmation

What you need to know or have ready before you start your Employment Income Confirmation.

Employment income, also known as earnings, is what an employee gets in return for work they have done.

Examples of Employment income include:

  • salary
  • wages
  • commissions
  • allowance in excess of relevant expenses
  • pay for piece work, for example, pay for an amount of fruit picked
  • fixed and variable price contracts
  • fringe benefits related to employment
  • remuneration from your own private trusts, but not distributions
  • remuneration from your own company, but not dividends
  • regular drawings of income we recognise as being for work performed, even if they may be non-remunerative lump sums, for example, directors’ fees

Employment income you and your partner earn may affect your rate of payment from us.

You may need the following documents:

  • payslips
  • separation certificates
  • group certificate or payment summary
  • bank statements for the account or accounts your employer pays your income into

If your employer distributes your income into more than one account make sure you have all your statements for these accounts. You can access these through your financial provider for up to seven years.

Confirm or update your details online

Use our Employment Income Confirmation service to confirm or update your employment details online.

If you have a Centrelink online account linked to a myGov account you can:

  • sign in to myGov and select Centrelink
  • select the employment information link on the To Do tile, or
  • select Employment Income Confirmation then Employment income from the main menu

See the online guide for Accessing your Employment Income Confirmation using your Centrelink online account for more information.

Sign in

Use the URL and confirmation code we provide you in your initial letter and reminder letter to log in to the Employment Income Confirmation, if:

  • you do not have a Centrelink online account, or
  • do not wish to use it

You will need the following ready before registering:

  • your customer reference number and confirmation code from your letter
  • your current Medicare card, a current Australian driver licence or current Australian passport so we can verify your identity
  • an email address or mobile phone number so we can send you a security code

See our online guide for Registering and logging in using the URL and Confirmation code for more information.

Requesting an extension

You can request an extension if you need more time to confirm or change your information.

You can select Need more time? after you have logged into the Employment Income Confirmation service or call us on 1800 086 400. See our online guide for Requesting an extension for more information.

Checking your employment details

You’ll need to check your employment details by confirming if you worked for each employer listed.

See our online guide for Checking your employment details.

Checking and entering your employment income details

You will need to confirm and enter your employment income details for each employer listed.

See the online guide for Checking and entering your employment income details.

Understanding your assessment result

Once you have completed your employment income confirmation, you’ll get an assessment result.

The following information is available on the Assessment Result page to help you understand the assessment. Look for these tabs across the top of the page:

  • Debt explanation provides details on how the debt was calculated
  • Centrelink payment history gives a breakdown of your fortnightly Centrelink payments
  • You reported to Centrelink shows what income you had previously declared
  • What you just told us provides an overview of the information you provided as part of the review

If you believe the assessment result is incorrect or you have made a mistake you can call us on 1800 086 400.

It’s important that you tell us if your circumstances change. Keeping us up to date means we can assess your circumstances correctly and make the right payment.

You need to tell us if there are changes to:

  • your personal and contact details
  • your bank details
  • your relationship status, for example if you become partnered or separate from your partner
  • care arrangements for anyone in your care, including your children
  • your work status

You also need to tell us if:

  • you’re leaving the country, temporarily or permanently
  • you get a lump sum payment
  • your income or assets change, including your partner's income and assets
  • you have started or finished studying

Find help

If you need help completing your Employment Income Confirmation, call 1800 086 400 and a Compliance Officer will help you. Please make sure you have all your relevant employment income details ready.

You can call us if you’ve lost or forgotten your confirmation code. You may need to answer some questions to help us identify you.

You can call us yourself or appoint someone to deal with us on your behalf.

You can give us new information and we will reassess your situation. You can also ask for a review at any time.

If you don’t have internet access, you can go to any of our service centres.

We also offer a referral service to our social work services.

Page last updated: 17 January 2018