Who else can help with family and domestic violence

Other organisations can help you with counselling, financial and legal advice, and safety planning including staying safe online.

Call 000 if you are in danger.
To access 24/7 counselling and support call 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732.
To close this page and display another website use the quick exit bar below.

Support services

Whatever your situation, it’s important to know that there’s help and support available.


The national family violence and sexual assault counselling service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It’s confidential and free to call. They can also help with advice about online safety if you think someone is watching your online activities. 

Contact options:

  • call 1800 737 732 at any time to speak with a professional counsellor
  • use the services directory to find help in your area
  • go to the 1800RESPECT website.

Family Relationship Advice

The Family Relationship Advice Line can help you with family issues and assist you through separation. They can also refer you to local services for more help.

Call them on 1800 050 321. Their operating hours are:

  • Monday to Friday, 8 am to 8 pm
  • Saturday, 10 am to 4 pm.

Financial Counselling Australia

You can talk with a private financial counsellor from Financial Counselling Australia for free.

Call 1800 007 007 to speak to someone in your state.

Kids Helpline

Kids Helpline is a free service for young people aged 5 to 25.

To contact them:

  • call 1800 551 800 at any time
  • go to the Kids Helpline website.


Lifeline can provide personal crisis support services if you’re affected by family and domestic violence.

You can call them on 131 114 at any time.

MensLine Australia

MensLine Australia is a phone and online support service. They provide specialist help to people affected by family and domestic violence. They also offer support to people using violence.

To contact them:

Men’s Referral Service

The Men’s Referral Service is a free phone counselling, information and referral service. They can help men end their use of violence and abuse against their family members. 

To contact them:

Their Men’s Referral Service line is available:

  • 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in NSW and TAS
  • 8 am to 9 pm, Monday to Friday and 9 am to 5 pm weekends in ACT, NT, QLD, SA, VIC and WA.


MoneySmart can help you manage your money. They have information about urgent money help and divorce and separation that may help you.

National Legal Aid

National Legal Aid can help you find the legal aid commission in your state or territory.

White Ribbon

White Ribbon gives you a list of support services and domestic violence hotlines. These services and hotlines can help if you or someone you know is experiencing violence.

Support tools


Daisy is a free app developed by 1800RESPECT that connects you to services in your local area. You can create a list of services and save them. These could be legal, housing, financial and children’s services. You can also search the internet with Daisy and understand what to expect when contacting a service.

Download Daisy from Google Play or the App Store.

Google play store logo

Appstore logo


Sunny is a free app developed by women with disability and 1800RESPECT. Sunny supports all women with disability impacted by sexual assault and family and domestic violence.

Sunny helps you to:

  • understand what violence and abuse are
  • learn about different types of violence
  • understand what has happened
  • know your rights
  • find people who can help.

Download Sunny from Google Play or the App Store.

Google play store logo

Appstore logo

Keeping safe online

If you think someone is watching or monitoring your online activities, you should call 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732. You can also learn about online safety on their website.

Australian Electoral Commission

Your address appears on the electoral roll. If you think this would put your family at risk, you can register as a silent elector. Contact the Australian Electoral Commission to do this.


It’s important that you keep your myGov sign in details private. If you or your child think you’ve shared sign in details with anyone, you should change them immediately. Read more about security and myGov.

My Health Record

Information uploaded to your or your child’s My Health Record can contain contact information such as your address. If this could put your family at risk call the My Health Record System Operator on 1800 723 471. They can discuss your options with you.

This information was printed Wednesday 22 May 2019 from https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/subjects/family-and-domestic-violence/who-else-can-help-family-and-domestic-violence It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.

Page last updated: 17 April 2019