Family Day Care operators compliance reviews

We check the income you get from your Family Day Care operation has been reported correctly.

We may get information from the Department of Education that you have been working as a Family Day Care educator. If we do, we’ll send you a letter, asking you to contact us to confirm or update your details. When you contact us, we’ll discuss your individual circumstances with you. We’ll ask you for any additional information we may need about you.

Details we need

We’ll ask you the following questions about your Family Day Care work:

  • when did you start working as a Family Day Care educator
  • are you still working
  • if you’re not still working, when did you stop
  • which service providers, past and present do you have contracts with
  • how are you paid, for example, by a Provider or parents, or through a bank account or cash
  • what services do you provide
  • what are the ages of the children you educate
  • how many hours a day, days per week, and weeks per year do you provide care

You must answer all these as accurately as you can.

Details about your tax returns and payment history

We will need details about your lodged personal and business tax returns with the Australian Taxation Office, including:

  • a breakdown of expenses, and
  • a depreciation worksheet with details of the assets purchased

We will also need a copy of your Education Payment History Reports for the financial years your business has been operating.

If you have not lodged your tax returns

You may need to provide us with a Profit and Loss Statement, if

  • you haven’t lodged your tax returns, or
  • your income has changed since your last tax return

Other information

Depending on your circumstances, we may ask you to also send us the following information:

When providing this information, you should consider the following.

Details about purchases you’ve made for your business

  • are there assets that you have purchased in order to operate your business that you have not previously advised us
  • what was the cost of the item
  • what percentage do you use the item for your business
  • do you provide food, meals or snacks

Details about your property

  • how many rooms in your house you use for child care compared to the total number of rooms in the home
  • do you use any room exclusively for your business
  • do you own or rent your home
  • how much rent do you pay each week
  • how much mortgage do you pay per month
  • what are your total annual household costs
  • Did you incur any expenses relating to the household, such as utilities, phone, internet, and insurance

Details about car use

  • do you require the car for your business
  • do you own or lease the car
  • do you drop off or pick up children
  • what calculation method you use when claiming motor vehicle expenses

Examples of calculation methods might include log book, cents per kilometre, 12% of original value, 1/3 of actual expenses.

How to submit documents

You can submit documents:

  • online using the document lodgement service in your Centrelink online account or the Express Plus Centrelink app
  • sending them to us by mail or fax
  • by visiting a service centre

Related subjects

Page last updated: 10 August 2018

Was this page useful?
Why not?

Thank you for your feedback.