When your baby arrives

Use your Parent Pack to help finalise your pre-birth claim, make a new claim and enrol your baby in Medicare.

Get your Parent Pack

You’ll get a Parent Pack from your hospital or midwife. It contains a Newborn Child Declaration. Make sure your doctor or midwife completes the Proof of Birth declaration on the back page.

If you have a Centrelink Customer Reference Number and Medicare card, include these numbers on the back page.

Keep in mind, this isn’t a claim form to get payments. We need the back page as proof of birth to finalise your pre-birth claim. We’ll also need this when you make a new claim for:

If you lose your Newborn Child Declaration, it can’t be reissued. You can still give us proof of birth with either:

  • a birth certificate or certified extract
  • other Australian Government documents that verify the child’s name and date of birth, such as a passport or naturalisation certificate.

You can also give us proof of birth with a letter from the doctor or midwife who attended the birth. This includes home births. The letter must include all of the following:

  • the parents details
  • your child’s name, date and place of birth
  • the doctor or midwife’s signature, qualifications and registration number.

Related subjects

Page last updated: 8 October 2019