Get your Parent Pack
You’ll get a Parent Pack from your hospital or midwife. It contains a Newborn Child Declaration. Make sure your doctor or midwife completes the Proof of Birth declaration on the back page.
If you have a Centrelink Customer Reference Number and Medicare card, include these numbers on the back page.
Keep in mind, this isn’t a claim form to get payments. We need the back page as proof of birth to finalise your pre-birth claim. We’ll also need this when you make a new claim for:
- Family Tax Benefit including Newborn Upfront Payment and Newborn Supplement
- Parental Leave Pay
- Dad and Partner Pay.
If you lose your Newborn Child Declaration, it can’t be reissued. You can still give us proof of birth with either:
- a birth certificate or certified extract
- other Australian Government documents that verify the child’s name and date of birth, such as a passport or naturalisation certificate.
You can also give us proof of birth with a letter from the doctor or midwife who attended the birth. This includes home births. The letter must include all of the following:
- the parents details
- your child’s name, date and place of birth
- the doctor or midwife’s signature, qualifications and registration number.
You must register the birth of your baby. This is a requirement by the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registry in your state or territory.
We need proof of your child’s birth to finalise any claims you started before your baby arrived.
If you didn’t do a pre-birth claim you can start a claim after the birth of your baby.
If you don’t wish to claim for a families payment, you’ll need to submit proof of birth to enrol your baby in Medicare.
You may be able to get Parenting Payment and add your baby to a current child support assessment.
Page last updated: 26 July 2019