Enrolling in Medicare

Find out how to enrol yourself and your baby in Medicare.

How to enrol

Before you start, check if you’re eligible to enrol in Medicare.

At a service centre

Bring your Medicare enrolment form and supporting documents to your nearest service centre.

You need to bring different documents to enrol if you:

  • are a permanent resident
  • are applying for permanent residency
  • are a returning resident or citizen
  • were born overseas.

Find out what documents you need to bring with you.

When you enrol, you’ll get a Medicare number straight away. We’ll send your Medicare card in 3 to 4 weeks.

When you’re on your parent’s Medicare card

If you’re listed on your parent’s Medicare card, it means you’re already enrolled and you don’t need to re-enrol. When you’re 15 years old, you can get your own Medicare card.

When you have a baby

To enrol your baby in Medicare, you need to give us a completed Newborn Child Declaration form. The form is in the Parent Pack you get from your midwife or hospital. It is the proof of birth document we accept for your baby.

Find out how to add your newborn to your Medicare card.

Read more about what you should do when your baby arrives to get a Centrelink payment.

If you’ve adopted a child or your child was born overseas, you’ll need to give us extra documents. Read more about the extra documents you need:

Your child can get their own Medicare card at 15 years old if they’re already enrolled.

When you’re Indigenous

If you’re Indigenous and don’t have common identity documents, you can use a referee instead. You and your referee need to complete the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Medicare enrolment and amendment form. You can find out who can be a referee on the form.

Call the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Access Line if you need help filling out the form.

When you’re visiting Australia

Health care agreements

We may cover some health care costs if you’re from a country we have an agreement with.

You can get care as a public patient in a public hospital without enrolling in Medicare. To find out more, read about medical care for visitors to Australia.

405 and 410 visas

If you’re on a 405 or 410 visa, you’re not normally eligible to enrol in Medicare. To find out more, read about assessing your eligibility.

This information was printed Monday 27 May 2019 from https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/subjects/how-enrol-and-get-started-medicare/enrolling-medicare It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.

Page last updated: 12 April 2019