How to enrol in Medicare if you’re an Australian citizen
To enrol as an Australian citizen in Medicare you need to prove your identity and residency.
Australians living in Australia
If you’re an Australian citizen and you’ve never been enrolled, you’ll need to give us either your:
- Australian passport
- birth certificate.
To prove you live in Australia, you’ll also need to give us 2 of these documents:
- sale agreement to buy a property, plus a gas or electricity account in your name
- lease agreement to rent a property, plus a gas or electricity account in your name
- evidence of employment
- evidence that you or your children are at school or university
- evidence of private health insurance, bank accounts, or property or contents insurance.
Documents must be original or certified copies. A certified copy is a document an authorised witness has signed as a correct copy.
If you can’t give us the documents we need, tell us. We’ll talk to you about other options.
Australians living overseas
If you move back to Australia after more than 5 years overseas, you’ll need to re-enrol with us again.
You’ll need to give us both:
- a current passport for each person
- 2 documents per family proving you now live in Australia.
You can also give us your old Medicare card numbers.
You can prove you live in Australia by giving us either:
- 2 documents from Australia
- 1 document from Australia and 1 from where you last lived.
|Documents from Australia||Documents from the other country|
|Rental or lease agreement||Proof you sold your property|
|Bond receipt||Proof you ended your lease|
|Proof your job||Proof you ended your job|
|Proof your child’s in school or child care||Proof you moved household goods or furniture|
|A statement from your bank or health, property or contents insurance||A statement showing you closed your bank account|
|Gas, electricity, water or rates statement||Proof you cancelled health, property or contents insurance|
Documents must be original or certified copies.
If you don’t have common identity documents, use the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Medicare enrolment and amendment form. You’ll need to get a referee to sign the form. The form explains who can be a referee.
Call the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Access Line if you need help with the form.
Read more about Medicare services for Indigenous Australians.
Page last updated: 28 August 2019