Documents to enrol in Medicare if you're a New Zealand citizen

You need to provide documents that prove your identity and residency.

You can enrol in Medicare if you’re a New Zealand citizen. You’ll need to give us both:

  • a New Zealand passport for each person you want to enrol
  • 2 documents per family that prove you live in Australia.

Proving you live in Australia

You can prove you live in Australia by giving us either:

  • 2 documents from Australia
  • 1 document from Australia and 1 from where you last lived.
Documents from Australia Documents from the other country
Rental or lease agreement Proof you sold your property
Bond receipt Proof you ended your lease
Proof your job Proof you ended your job
Proof your child’s in school or child care Proof you moved household goods or furniture
A statement from your bank or health, property or contents insurance A statement showing you closed your bank account
Gas, electricity, water or rates statement Proof you cancelled health, property or contents insurance

You’ll need to complete a Medicare enrolment form and submit it with your documents at a service centre.

Documents must be original or certified copies. A certified copy is a document an authorised witness has signed as a correct copy.

If you don’t have these documents, tell us. We’ll talk to you about other options.

Page last updated: 6 September 2019