Indigenous Australians looking for work, studying or training

We can help if you're an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Australian looking for work. We can also help if you want to study or train to find a job.

Looking for work

Newstart Allowance and Youth Allowance give you income support while you're looking for work.

If you’re claiming Newstart or Youth Allowance, we’ll refer you to an employment services provider. They can help you to find a job.


jobactive is a service that helps connect you with employers and find work. You can start looking for work now using the jobactive website.

You can also read more about jobactive on the Department of Employment, Skills, Small and Family Business.

Disability Employment Services

Disability Employment Services can help you find and keep a job if you have a disability, illness or an injury.

Community Development Program

The Community Development Program helps job seekers who live in remote areas of Australia. It helps you gain skills that match local jobs so you can get work.

Read more about the Community Development Program on the National Indigenous Australians Agency website. 

Transition to Work

Transition to Work helps young job seekers find:

  • work
  • study opportunities
  • apprenticeships
  • traineeships.

They can help you build your skills and confidence to find a job. Talk to a provider in your area.

You can find a provider to see if you’re eligible on the jobactive website.   

You can also read more about Transition to Work on the Department of Employment, Skills, Small and Family Business website.

Students and Australian apprentices 

You may be able to get a payment if you’re studying or training.

ABSTUDY is a group of payments for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students or Australian apprentices.

Assistance for Isolated Children Scheme helps parents and carers of children who can’t go to a local government school because they either:

  • live in an isolated area
  • have disability
  • have special needs.

Relocation Scholarship is a once a year payment. You may be eligible if you need to move from a regional or remote area for higher education study. You must get either:

  • ABSTUDY Living Allowance
  • Youth Allowance
  • Energy Supplement.

Student Start-up Loan is a voluntary loan. You can get this loan up to twice a year if you’re an eligible higher education student.

Other support services

We can also help you stay in control of your finances while you’re studying or training or looking for work. Read more about:

You can use our Payment and Service Finder to find help in your local area. These organisations can give you support and information.

JobAccess helps people with disability find a job.

The website lets you know about Indigenous initiatives and programs such as:

  • early childhood
  • schooling
  • health and safety.

myfuture can help you to make career decisions, plan career pathways and manage work transitions.

Australian Apprenticeships has information and resources about Australian apprenticeships and the support available.

MoneySmart helps you make the most of your money. Read the Indigenous section on the MoneySmart website.

beyondblue provides knowledge and skills so you can protect your own mental health. It doesn’t matter how old you are or where you live. They can help if you’re experiencing anxiety or stress while looking for work or studying.

StudyAssist details Australian Government assistance to finance your tertiary study and VET Student Loans.

Related subjects

Page last updated: 30 September 2019