When your child turns 19, your eligibility for Family Tax Benefit (FTB) stops. There are also some things to know if they start tertiary study.
At 19, your child can:
- apply for a Tax File Number without your help
- access their Medicare and immunisation history statement themselves
- open their own bank account
- get their own Medicare card
- be eligible for a payment
- be on the Australian Organ Donor Register.
You can also read more about what happens with FTB if your child:
FTB Part A
If your child is intending to continue to tertiary studies, they may be able to claim a payment from us.
Your income will continue to impact your child’s eligibility for payments until they’re independent. This is usually when they turn 22.