What happens when your child turns 19
When your child turns 19, your eligibility for Family Tax Benefit (FTB) stops. There are also some things to know if they start tertiary study.
At 19, your child can:
- apply for a Tax File Number without your help
- access their Medicare and immunisation history statement themselves
- open their own bank account
- get their own Medicare card
- be eligible for a payment
- be on the Australian Organ Donor Register.
You can also read more about what happens with FTB if your child:
FTB Part A
If your child is intending to continue to tertiary studies, they may be able to claim a payment from us.
Your income will continue to impact your child’s eligibility for payments until they’re independent. This is usually when they turn 22.
Page last updated: 29 March 2019