Looking for work

If you’re looking for work, have recently lost your job, or are at risk of losing your job, there are payments and services to support you.

Payments while you look for work

You may be eligible for financial assistance while you’re looking for work or studying.

Newstart Allowance provides financial help if you’re looking for work. It supports you while you do activities that may increase your chances of finding a job, such as studying or training. The amount of Newstart Allowance you can get depends on your situation.

Youth Allowance provides financial help for young people who are:

  • studying full time
  • doing a full time Australian apprenticeship
  • training
  • looking for work or
  • temporarily incapacitated and unable to work or study

Waiting periods may apply, if:

  • you were paid a lump sum from your employer when you finished work, or
  • you chose to leave work

Use our Payment and Service Finder to help you find, estimate and compare payments you may be eligible for.

Support to find work

Employment services providers can help you prepare and look for work. This may include access to training as well as computers and phones to look for jobs.

We can refer you to an employment services provider in your area:

  • jobactive can help you get and keep a job – jobactive organisations tailor their services to your assessed needs
  • Transition to Work can help some young job seekers build skills and confidence to engage in work, study, apprenticeships and traineeships
  • Disability Employment Services can help you find a job if you have a disability, injury or health condition
  • Community Development Program gives job seekers in remote areas opportunities to gain skills that match local jobs

Read more about:

Support if you’ve been retrenched or made redundant

If you’ve lost your job and got a redundancy or termination payment, there may be help available.

Read more about services that can help if you’ve been retrenched or made redundant.

Other government and community support services

There are a range of other organisations that provide support services and information you may find helpful. You can use Payment and Service Finder to find help in your area.

MoneySmart has information to help you make the most of your money. Read the losing your job section on their website.

The Department of Jobs and Small Business has help for workers who have recently lost their job. This includes tailored help for people made redundant from some companies in specific industries.

Australian Apprenticeships provides information and resources about Australian apprenticeships and the support available.

beyondblue is an independent, not for profit organisation. They provide information and support to address depression, anxiety and other mental health conditions in Australia.

MensLine Australia gives professional support over the phone and online for men with family and relationship concerns.

JobAccess offers help and workplace solutions for people with a disability looking for work and their employers.

JobSearch is a free online jobs website with job vacancies advertised across all industries and regions in Australia.

myfuture is Australia's national career information and exploration service. They help people make career decisions, plan career pathways and manage work transitions.

This information was printed Thursday 23 May 2019 from https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/subjects/looking-work It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.

Page last updated: 6 March 2019