Medicare helps with the cost of health care and medicine. Use our phone line and special form to get Medicare services.
Get a Medicare card or change your details
Use your Medicare card when you visit a doctor, go to hospital or buy PBS medicines.
We need to confirm your identity when you enrol with Medicare or change your details.
To enrol or change your details, you can use:
- the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Medicare enrolment and amendment form if you don’t have the standard ID documents, or
- the Medicare enrolment application form if you have the standard documents to confirm your identity
Identify on our records
You can choose to tell us you identify as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Australian, or both. Telling us can help shape future plans and policies.
Don’t be shy. Identify.
How health checks can help you
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders have a higher risk of chronic diseases. A regular health check may help you get the treatment you need earlier.
Your health check may include:
- questions about your health
- a medical examination
- any medical tests you need, and
- a health plan for you
Ask your doctor or nurse for more information about your health check.
Closing the Gap for PBS
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians can get help to buy medicines if they:
- have a chronic disease, or
- are at risk of a chronic disease
The Closing the Gap PBS Co-payment helps you get most prescription medicines:
- at a lower price, or
- free, if you have a Health Care Card
Your doctor can register you for this.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Access line
You can call 1800 556 955 to find out what health care services you can get.
Our staff are culturally trained and aware of your health care needs.
Medicare Liaison Officers
Are culturally trained and work with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities and health care staff to:
- increase the number of people who enrol in Medicare
- make sure correct Medicare benefits are claimed
- visit, train and provide support to health services
- promote the benefits of health care
Other government and community support services
Use Service Finder to find a range of other support services and useful information in your local area.
The Department of Health has information about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health activities.
Australia.gov.au connects you to a wide range of government information and services.
Indigenous.gov.au has information about government Indigenous programs. This includes children and schooling, and safety and wellbeing programs.
Read the Indigenous section on the MoneySmart website.