If you’re an Australian Apprentice you may be eligible for payment or some extra help.
Who we define as an Australian Apprentice
An Australian Apprentice is:
- registered with the Australian Apprenticeship scheme, and
- doing a full time apprenticeship or traineeship
The payments and services on this page only apply to Australian Apprentices who meet this definition.
Read more about Australian Apprenticeships.
Payments and services for Australian Apprentices
Use our payment and service finder
The best first step you can take is to use our Payment and Service finder.
Help with living costs
Check if you’re eligible for these payments.
- Youth Allowance – payment if you’re 24 or younger and studying, an Australian Apprentice, looking for work or sick
- Austudy – financial help if you’re a student or an Australian Apprentice, 25 or older
- ABSTUDY – a group of payments for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander students or Australian Apprentices
Help with rent and health care
You may also get:
- Rent Assistance - to help you pay your rent if you get certain payments from us
- Low Income Health Care Card - to help you get cheaper health care and some discounts
Help if you’re sick, injured or living with disability
If you’re sick or injured
Call us if you get an injury or short term illness that means you can’t work or study. We can update your circumstances and discuss your options.
Financial help if you’re living with disability
Youth Disability Supplement is an extra payment for eligible Australian Apprentices with disability. You may get it if you:
- are younger than 22
- are getting an eligible payment, and
- have a physical, intellectual or psychiatric disability that prevents you from working at least 30 hours per week
More help and information
Australian Apprenticeships has up to date information for Apprentices. If you’re thinking of doing an Apprenticeship, it can help you work out options.
You can use Payment and Service Finder to find help in your local area. It also has information and help from local organisations.
My Skills is the national directory of Vocational Education and Training (VET) organisations and courses. It lets you search for, and compare, courses and providers.
MoneySmart can help you make the most of your money. Read the Student loans section on the MoneySmart website.