Payments and support for Indigenous Australians

We have a range of payments and support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians.


Use Payment and Service Finder to help you find out what payments and services that you may be able to get.

ABSTUDY can help you and your family with study, Australian Apprenticeship or traineeship costs.

Relocation Scholarship can help if you need to move to, or from, a remote or regional area to study. It’s paid once a year.

Student Start-up Loan is a loan you can get up to twice a year.

Assistance for Isolated Children Scheme can help you with the extra study costs for your children. It is for people who can’t go to a state or public school on a daily basis because they:

  • live in an isolated area
  • have disability
  • have special health needs

You may also be able to get Remote Area Allowance if you get one of our payments and you live in a remote area.

Centrepay helps to pay bills and expenses as regular deductions from your Centrelink payments making it easier for you to budget.

Our support services

The Community Development Program helps job seekers living in remote areas gain skills while looking for work in their own community. As a job seeker, it gives you support from someone local.

Read more about the Community Development Program on the National Indigenous Australians Agency website.

Indigenous Customer Service Officers

They provide you individual support in some of our service centres. They:

  • give culturally appropriate advice and service
  • refer you to other service providers
  • advise you of your rights and obligations

Indigenous Service Officers

These officers help and support you and your communities to:

  • understand our services
  • access our payments, services and programs
  • promote our payments and services at forums
  • refer you to other services if they cannot help you

Remote Servicing Teams

These teams travel to remote areas so everyone has access to our payments and services.

Indigenous Call Centre

When you call the Indigenous Call Centre you can speak to our trained staff about your Centrelink payments and services.

Voluntary identification

You can tell us if you are an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Australian by completing the Medicare Voluntary Indigenous Identifier online form. You can also tell us the next time you contact us. We use this information for many things. It helps us identify other programs and services Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australian’s may find helpful.

Other support services

There are other support services you may find helpful. You can use the Service Finder to find help in your local area.

The Australian Tax Office (ATO) gives you support with your tax and super. hosted by Prime Minister and Cabinet links you to information on policy and programs.

MoneySmart has information to help you make the most of your money. Read the Indigenous section on the MoneySmart website.

Related subjects

Page last updated: 20 September 2019