Payments for people living with an illness, injury or disability

We provide payments and services to help you if you have an illness, injury or disability that means you can’t work, or can only do a limited amount of work.

Financial support for people 16 years of age and older

Disability Support Pension provides financial support if you have a physical, intellectual or psychiatric condition that stops you from working, or if you are permanently blind.

Sickness Allowance is a temporary payment if you are employed or self employed, but can’t work because of a medical condition. In some cases, full time students can also get Sickness Allowance if they are unable to study due to illness or injury.

Mobility Allowance helps you to participate in approved activities when you have disability, illness or injury. This helps with transport costs if you can’t use public transport without assistance, either permanently or for an extended period.

The Pensioner Education Supplement helps you improve your chance of finding a job through study by helping with the ongoing costs of full time or part time study in a secondary or tertiary course. The amount of your supplement is based on your study load and the qualifying pension or payment you receive.

There is extra support available to help you find a job, study or train. Read more about looking for work.

Disability Champion Paul's story
In this Disability Champion video, Paul talks to us about how working part time has helped him gain new skills, friends and confidence.

Financial support for children

Child Disability Assistance Payment is an annual payment that helps parents with the costs of caring for a child with disability.

The Youth Disability Supplement provides additional financial support to young people with a physical, intellectual or psychiatric disability who get certain income support payments.

Other assistance

Health care

The Continence Aids Payment Scheme helps eligible people with permanent and severe incontinence meet some of the costs of incontinence products.

The External Breast Prostheses Reimbursement Program provides a reimbursement of up to $400 for new or replacement external breast prostheses for women who have had a mastectomy as a result of breast cancer.

Telephone Allowance

Telephone Allowance helps with the costs of having a telephone and home internet service. Your eligibility will be assessed when you make a claim for certain payments.

Service accessibility

We are committed to making our services accessible. Find out more about how our accessibility options can help you.

Other government and community support services

There are a range of other organisations that provide support services and useful information you may find helpful. You can use Payment and Service Finder to locate assistance in your local area.

MoneySmart has information to help you make the most of your money. Read the Budget planner section on the MoneySmart website.

Better Start for Children with Disability helps with early intervention services for children with disability.

Disability Services Australia provides information on employment and community support services for people with a disability.

healthdirect has advice on health and wellbeing.

If you have depression, anxiety or stress, it may help to talk to somebody about your mental health.

JobAccess offers help and workplace solutions for people with a disability looking for work and their employers.

National Disability Insurance Scheme helps people with significant and permanent disability, including their families and carers.

Helping Children with Autism package helps children with Autism Spectrum Disorders, including their families and carers.

Page last updated: 6 March 2019