Payments for visa holders

If you have an eligible visa and you're living in Australia we provide a range of payments and services to support you.

Health care

Australia has Reciprocal Health Care Agreements with certain countries. Under these agreements, some health services and subsidised medicines are provided to visitors from these countries when they are in Australia.

People who live in Australia and meet eligibility requirements are eligible to apply for a Medicare card.

Families with children

Payments such as Family Tax Benefit, Child Care Benefit and Child Care Rebate are available to help with the costs of raising children. You may be eligible if you are caring for a child, whether it is your birth child, grandchild, foster child or adopted child.

Jobs, Education and Training Child Care Fee Assistance provides extra help with the cost of approved child care if you are looking for work, studying, training or undertaking rehabilitation to enter, or re-enter, the workforce.

We provide payments to support parents who have just had a baby or recently adopted a child. Read more about having a baby or adopting a child.

Double Orphan Pension provides help with the costs of caring for children who are orphans or unable to be cared for by their parents in certain circumstances.

Centrelink payments

In general, most Centrelink payments are only available to people who are living in Australia and an Australian resident. Certain temporary visa holders may be eligible, depending on the payment type. You may also need to meet a qualifying residence period or Newly arrived resident's waiting period, unless exempt.

Additional waiting periods may apply.

If you live in, or are currently present in, a country that has an international social security agreement with Australia, the agreement may assist you to claim Australian payments that are covered by the agreement. If you have lived or worked in one of these countries, the agreement may also help you to meet any qualifying residence period for Australian payments that are covered by the agreement.

Specific rules apply for New Zealand citizens claiming payments in Australia.

People with disability

Disability Support Pension provides financial support if you have a physical, intellectual or psychiatric condition that prevents you from working, or if you are permanently blind.

Carer Payment can provide financial support if you are unable to work in substantial paid employment because you are providing full time daily care to someone with a severe disability or medical condition, or to someone who is frail aged.

Carer Allowance is a supplementary payment for parents or carers who provide additional daily care to an adult or child with a severe disability, medical condition or is frail aged.

Check the residence requirements to see if you are eligible.

Severe and extreme circumstances

Crisis Payment is a one off payment that helps if you have experienced difficult or extreme circumstances. This payment helps people who arrive in Australia for the first time on a refugee or humanitarian visa.

Special Benefit is a payment that helps people who are in severe financial need because of reasons outside their control and who cannot receive any other Centrelink pension or benefits.

Check the residence requirements to see if you are eligible.

Becoming an Australian citizen

Read more about living in Australia and becoming an Australian citizen on the Department of Home Affairs website.

Other government and community support services

There are a range of other organisations that provide support services and useful information you may find helpful. You can use Payment and Service Finder to locate assistance in your local area.

moneysmart logoMoneySmart has information to help you make the most of your money. Read the Budget planner section on the MoneySmart website.

Department of Home Affairs provides information about living in Australia, Australian visas and becoming an Australian citizen. They also provide links to useful resources and support services. connects you to information and services across Australia including information about living in Australia.

Page last updated: 17 January 2018