Retrenched or made redundant

If you or your partner have taken a termination or redundancy payment from an employer, we can provide you with support while you look for work.

Employment services

jobactive, Community Development Programme or Disability Employment Services provider can work with you to help you get back into the workforce. Depending on your circumstances, these providers can help with:

  • job search training and help, such as résumé preparation and advice on the best ways to look for work
  • access to telephones, computers, stationery and employment vacancy listings
  • access to training, skills development and other help you may need

Read more about jobactive on the Department of Jobs and Small Business website.

If you live in a remote area, you may need to participate in the Community Development Programme. It provides job seekers living in remote areas with greater opportunities to gain local employment and skills to match local jobs.

Read more about the Community Development Programme on the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet website.

Income support

A number of income support payments may be available depending on your circumstances.

Use our Payment and Service Finder to help you find, estimate and compare payments and services that you may be eligible for.

Payments to help you study or train

There are also payments to help with the cost of living while you study or train:

  • Austudy provides financial help to full time students and Australian Apprentices 25 years aged and older
  • ABSTUDY provides help with costs for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians who are studying or undertaking an Australian Apprenticeship
  • Youth Allowance provides financial help for young people who are:
    • studying or training full time
    • undertaking a full time Australian Apprenticeship
    • looking for work, or
    • temporarily unable to work

On top of these payments, you may get other payments to help you study or train.

The Pensioner Education Supplement helps students improve their chance of finding a job through study. It helps with the ongoing costs of full time or part time study in a secondary or tertiary course.

The Education Entry Payment helps with the cost of study.

Waiting periods

If you or your partner have taken a termination payment, you may be subject to an Income Maintenance Period before you can get a payment from us. Other waiting periods may also apply.

If you became unemployed voluntarily, you may need to serve an Unemployment Non-payment Period. Other waiting periods may also apply.

If you’re eligible for a payment from us, submit your claim with all required information and documentation as soon as possible. We will notify you if you need to serve any waiting periods.

Read more about waiting periods.

Financial Information Service

The Financial Information Service is a free, confidential service that can help you make informed decisions about investment and financial issues for your current and future financial and lifestyle needs.

Social work services

Our social workers can help you during difficult times in your life by providing counselling, support and information.

If you're experiencing depression, anxiety or stress, you may find it helpful to talk to somebody about your mental health.

If your employer went bankrupt or entered liquidation

If you lose your job because your employer went bankrupt or entered liquidation, you may be able to claim some of your unpaid entitlements through the Fair Entitlements Guarantee (FEG).

Read more on the Fair Entitlements Guarantee on the Department of Jobs and Small Business website.

You can't make a claim for unpaid employer superannuation contributions through FEG.

Read more about claiming your outstanding superannuation on the Australian Taxation Office website.

Temporary financial relief from loan payments

Temporary financial relief may be available if you're having trouble paying a loan or mortgage because of losing your job. Contact your bank or financial institution to find out how they can help you.

If they don't agree to a reasonable request made by you, you can contact the Financial Ombudsman Service or the Credit and Investments Ombudsman through their websites and ask to have the decision reviewed.

Other government and community support services

There are a range of other organisations that provide support services and useful information you may find helpful. Use Service Finder to locate assistance in your local area.

moneysmart logoMoneySmart has information to help you make the most of your money. Read the losing your job section on the MoneySmart website.

Read more about help for workers who have recently lost their job, including those made redundant from eligible companies in specific industries.

Information for employers

We can help you provide support and information to your employees who are facing redundancy or retrenchment.

Read more about redundancy information for employers.

Page last updated: 3 January 2018