Young people becoming independent

We provide information, payments and services if you are between 15 and 24 years of age and becoming independent.

Payments such as Youth Allowance and ABSTUDY support you while you study. We can also help you with career and financial advice for when it's time for you to make important decisions.

Financial support for young people

If you are between 15 and 24 years of age, you may be eligible for payments and services to support you if you want to study or if you are becoming independent from your parents or carer.

Depending on your or your family’s circumstances, you may be able to get Youth Allowance, Newstart Allowance or ABSTUDY. These payments provide financial support while you are looking for work, studying, training or undertaking an Australian Apprenticeship. Disability Support Pension is also available to support young people who have a medical condition or disability.

If you are turning 16 years of age, you may need to start making some important decisions including how to manage your money.

You can attend a free Financial Information Service (FIS) seminar. They can help younger people who want to know about how they can save for their future.

You can phone 132 300 and ask to speak to a FIS officer. If possible, your questions will be answered over the phone. If there are complex issues to be discussed, the FIS officer may arrange an appointment for you.

Young people and health services

When you turn 15 years of age, you can apply for your own Medicare card. Complete a Medicare copy or transfer Application form and submit it at your local Medicare service centre. You’ll need to provide identification, such as a student card or birth certificate, as well as details about the card you are transferring from.

Make sure you register your bank account details to receive your rebate faster. You can complete and submit the Bank account details Collection form.

For eligible young people between 2 and 17 years of age, the Child Dental Benefits Schedule helps cover the costs of basic dental services.

When you turn 16 years of age, you can also register for the Australian Organ Donor Register.

Other government and community support services

There are a range of other organisations that provide support services and useful information you may find helpful. You can use Payment and Service Finder to locate assistance in your local area.

MoneySmart has information to help you make the most of your money. Read the Under 25's section on the MoneySmart website.

Australian Apprenticeships provides information and resources about Australian apprenticeships and the support available.

Headspace has information to help young people who are going through a tough time.

If you are experiencing depression, anxiety or stress, you may find it helpful to talk to somebody about your mental health situation.

JobSearch is a free online jobs website with job vacancies across all industries and regions within Australia.

myfuture is Australia’s national career information and exploration service, helping people to make career decisions, plan career pathways and manage work transitions.

Study Assist provides information to current and prospective students about Australian Government assistance for financial tertiary study including information about subsidised fees and government loans. The website also contains information on VET FEE-HELP scheme reforms.

Page last updated: 27 August 2017