How to claim as a nominee
Complete these steps to claim some payments or concession cards online for the person you’re acting for as a nominee.
1. Get ready to claim
Check Payment and Service Finder to see if the person you’re acting for as a nominee is eligible for:
- Ex-Carer Allowance (Child) Health Care Card
- Foster Child Health Care Card
- Low Income Health Care Card
- Newstart Allowance
- Youth Allowance for job seekers
- Age Pension.
We refer to the person you’re a nominee for as the principal.
The easiest way to claim as a nominee is online.
To claim online, you need a myGov account linked to Centrelink. If you don’t have a myGov account or a Centrelink online account you’ll need to set them up.Your principal may need to confirm their identity with us before you start their claim.
Please tell us if the person you want to claim for:
- has trouble confirming their identity
- is vulnerable
- is in crisis.
If you can’t claim online, you can:
2. Get their documents ready to claim
You’ll need to get some supporting documents ready to help answer some of the questions in the claim.
3. Make your claim
- Sign in to myGov and select Centrelink.
- On the Online services access page, select the account of the person you want to claim for.
- Once you’re in the person’s account, select Make a claim.
- Then select Start a new claim.
- Answer all the questions. Each page has information to help you complete the claim. This includes how to submit your supporting documents and any other forms you may need to complete. If you’re claiming a jobseeker payment, you’ll need to book a phone appointment.
- Submit your claim.
When you’re ready:
When you start or submit a new claim for your principal, they can view and access the claim through their:
- Centrelink online account
- the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app, once you’ve submitted the claim.
They may also get notifications about the claim via SMS or email.
4. Track your claim
After you submit the claim online, you’ll get a receipt telling you:
- the claim for your principal was submitted
- the ID number of the claim
- an estimated completion date
- a link to track its progress.
You can track the progress of the claim online. Sign in to myGov, go to Centrelink, then select your principal. Their homepage will show the progress of the claim..
You’ll see an estimated date of completion for the claim. We aim to complete claims by this date. But, in busy periods it may take longer.
When we finalise the claim it will show either Approved or Rejected. We’ll let you and your principal know the result of the claim. We’ll send a letter to either your:
If you don’t get electronic letters, we’ll send you a letter in the mail.
If we need more details, we'll send a message to your myGov Inbox. We’ll also add a new task to your Tasks and the principal’s Tasks. You can upload additional documents in your principal’s Centrelink online account.
If you haven’t heard from us, check you’ve given us all the documents we’ve asked for. You can view what you’ve given us in your principal’s Centrelink online account. If you’ve provided all the documents, call us on the principal’s regular payment line.
If you think we’ve made a mistake you can ask us to review our decision.
Page last updated: 31 May 2019