Someone to deal with us on your behalf

You can have an authorised representative deal with us on your behalf. You can authorise them to enquire, act or get payments for you.



You can choose someone to be your correspondence nominee or a payment nominee.

They can be a different person or organisation for each nominee type or the same for both.

This does not stop you from dealing direct with us.

You can cancel your nominee at any time. Call us on your regular payment line or use your online account through myGov.

Centrelink correspondence nominee

Your correspondence nominee can do a lot of Centrelink things for you. This includes:

  • asking us questions
  • telling us of changes to your circumstances
  • completing and signing forms and statements
  • coming to appointments with you or, if appropriate, on your behalf
  • getting copies of your letters from us.

Centrelink payment nominee

Your payment nominee gets and uses your Centrelink payments on your behalf.


  • can only use your payments to help you
  • must keep records of the payments and how they spent the money.

Making a Centrelink nominee arrangement

You can do this online or by completing a form.


You can manage your nominee arrangements using your Centrelink online account.

Both you and the person you want to be a nominee need to have a Centrelink online account. If you don’t have one, register now.

Your nominee will need to respond to a nominee request in their Centrelink online account within 14 days.

By form

Fill in the Authorising a person or organisation to enquire or act on your behalf form. Then post or fax it to us or take it to a service centre.

We will need to see your nominee’s identity documents unless your nominee is an organisation.

Person permitted to enquire

You can choose someone just to enquire about your Centrelink payments and services.

They can be a person or an organisation.

How to appoint a person permitted to enquire

You can either:

Status Resolution Support Services Payment

You can arrange for another person or organisation to enquire with us on your behalf about your Status Resolution Support Services payment.


A person can act on your behalf for Medicare purposes when either:

  • they’re your appointed power of attorney (POA)
  • a court or tribunal has appointed them as your guardian and administrator
  • we’ve accepted them as your authorised representative.

POA or guardian and administrator orders

You can use a POA or guardianship and administration order to appoint someone to act on your behalf. The POA or order must show your representative can act on your behalf for financial matters.

You’ll need to provide us with both of the following:

  • an original or a certified copy of the POA document or guardianship and administration order
  • a written letter of request which includes your Medicare number.

You can do this by post or at a service centre.

Authorised representative

You can nominate to be an authorised representative if the person you intend to represent can no longer manage their own affairs due to a medical condition or disability.

To be someone’s authorised representative, you must all of the following:

  • be over 18 years old
  • be their close friend or relative
  • not be their paid carer from any organisation, institution or community health care service.

To apply, complete an Authorisation to act on a person’s behalf form. We also need original or certified copies of all of the following:

  • current photo ID
  • a statutory declaration – this should state how you know them and your care arrangements for them
  • evidence you act on their behalf for a similar arrangement
  • evidence the person is unable to manage their own affairs.

Refer to the form for examples of documents you should give us.

You can do this by post or at a service centre.

The postal address is on the form.

Aged Care


You can appoint a nominee to deal with us on your behalf if you are either:

  • in residential aged care
  • getting a home care package.

Child Support representative

You can choose a person or organisation to be your child support representative. They will be able to:

  • ask us questions
  • give us information
  • have access to and discuss your child support information.

This person must be 18 or older. They shouldn’t be:

  • a child who you paid or get child support for, even if they’ve turned 18
  • the other parent in your child support case.

You can choose:

  • the date when they’ll stop being your representative
  • the details they can know and discuss
  • if they can arrange for you to pay us child support you owe
  • if they can update your contact details with us.

They can’t:

How to appoint a Child Support representative

You can either:

A letter of authorisation should tell us:.

  • enough information to identify your representative
  • the details you want them to discuss with us
  • the date they’ll stop being your representative.

Then submit it either:

Page last updated: 24 April 2019

Was this page useful?
Why not?

Thank you for your feedback.