To protect the privacy of customers and staff, the department has comprehensive processes to protect personal information.
Customer records and personal information
- all staff to acknowledge their privacy and confidentiality responsibilities every year
- reporting of privacy incidents as soon as they are identified.
Personal information related to the administration of the department’s programs and services is protected by the Privacy Act 1988 and the secrecy provisions in the various laws under which the department delivers its services, such as the Social Security (Administration) Act 1999. The department considers requests for personal information under the Privacy Act 1988 and relevant secrecy provisions.
Privacy impact assessments
- minimise privacy risks and impacts
- ensure compliance with statutory obligations
- meet the department’s commitment to safeguarding customer privacy.
The department investigates all privacy complaints and uses escalation and reporting processes to minimise the effects of any privacy incident. In 2017–18 the total number of substantiated privacy incidents was 98.