This measure allows the Cashless Debit Card Trial to be expanded to a third trial site in 2016 for a 12 month period.
Description of the measure
This measure allows the Cashless Debit Card Trial to be expanded to a third trial site in 2016 for a 12 month period. The third trial site and start date will be announced following community consultation and engagement.
The trial is currently in place across 2 locations (Ceduna, South Australia and the East Kimberley region of Western Australia) for 12 months in each location.
Questions and answers
Who is eligible for this measure?
This measure will affect recipients of eligible payments, who are residing in the nominated third trial site from the trial start date.
Eligible payments may include:
- Youth Allowance
- Newstart Allowance
- Parenting Payment (Partnered and Single)
- Carer Payment
- Disability Support Pension
- Special Benefit, and
- Sickness Allowance
Age Pension customers in the trial area will be able to volunteer to participate in the Cashless Debit Card Trial.
80 per cent of a participant’s welfare payment will be placed onto a cashless debit card which cannot be used to purchase alcohol or gambling products, or to withdraw cash. The remaining 20 per cent will be delivered to the participant’s regular bank account.
The date this measure will start and finish
The third trial site will commence in 2016 for a 12 month period.
The location and trial start date will be announced following community consultation and engagement.