Information about applying for a vacancy with our department and the selection process.
To be eligible to apply you must be an Australian citizen.
If you’re successful, you may have to complete the following employment checks:
- pre-engagement check – this includes identity verification and a criminal history check
- health clearance – to confirm your fitness for duty and identify any reasonable adjustments that you may need
- security clearance – you may need to already hold, or be able to get and maintain, a security clearance
- redundancy benefit or incentive to retire payment restriction periods – you need to have served these periods, if applicable.
To apply, you’ll need to complete an online application.
Before you start
Make sure you have the following details ready:
- personal details, such as email, phone number and residential address
- details of at least 2 referees, it’s best to include your current or most recent manager
- your application responses in a word document – so you can copy and paste them into the form.
You may also need to attach the following documents to your application:
- proof of Australian citizenship
- a copy of any mandatory qualifications.
Keep in mind, when you apply you can’t upload a resume. You’ll need to input your employment summary details into the system as part of the online application form. Allow enough time to complete your online application. Once the application closes you can’t make updates.
We recommend you read the eRecruitment Help page and job pack before you start your application.
We use applications to shortlist applicants. Make sure you:
- address the knowledge, skills and attributes you have for the job
- include details about your work history, experience, education and skills
- use specific work examples that show how you contributed to a task.
If you need help to apply
We can help if you:
- have accessibility requirements we need to consider
- can’t access the internet or a computer to complete your application.
If you have access to the internet and a computer, email our Recruitment Management team. If you don’t have access, call the contact officer of the job you’re applying for.
We take part in the RecruitAbility Scheme. It supports employing people with disability in the APS.
If you have a disability, opt in to the scheme. If you meet the minimum requirements of the job you’ll advance to the second stage in the selection process.
After you apply
A selection committee will assess your application and decide if you’re suitable for the job. We call this the selection process. They’ll look at your application and do a referee check. They may also:
- interview you by phone, face to face or video
- look at work samples
- hold performance tests, written or practical.
We base all recruitment decisions on merit to get the best available person for the job.
We may contact your referees at any stage in the selection process. Referee checks can be in writing or verbal.
You’ll need to provide the details of 2 referees. They will comment on your capabilities relating to the job. It’s best to include your current or most recent manager.
We’ll consider you available for an interview from when applications close. Let the contact officer know by email if you’re going to be away for a while.
If you come to an interview, the selection committee will ask you questions to assess your capabilities.
The committee may decide they don’t need to conduct interviews. They can fill a vacancy based on written applications and referee checks.
If you’re successful, we’ll do all of the following:
- call you to make a verbal offer of employment
- conduct pre-engagement and eligibility checks
- send you a formal letter of offer.
If you’re working, wait for the formal letter from us before leaving your current job. We can withdraw the offer if you don’t meet our pre-engagement checks.
For more information talk to the contact officer listed on the job you’re applying for.
If you have general recruitment questions email our Recruitment Management team.