A career path for Indigenous peoples to start in the Australian Public Service.
We’re looking for motivated Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples with an interest in joining the Australian Public Service (APS).
Apply now for our 12 month Indigenous Apprenticeships Program (IAP). The program provides:
- a tailored approach to your learning based on cultural needs
- a full time entry level job and a competitive salary
- a nationally recognised certificate or diploma qualification
- a permanent role in the APS
We offer varied jobs in the fields of:
- policy and program development
- service delivery
The APS classifies and pays jobs at different levels, based on the responsibility and skills involved.
We are recruiting at the APS2 and APS3 level. We’ll consider you for both levels in our recruitment process.
Once you complete the IAP and meet requirements, you’ll move up to the APS3 or APS4 level at your agency.
You can read more about roles and responsibilities in the APS. View the APS Fact sheet 3: Understanding APS Jobs on the Australian Public Service Commission website.
Depending on the department and level you’re placed at, you will get a Certificate IV or Diploma.
APS2 apprentices will complete a Certificate IV. This will focus on government or service delivery.
APS3 apprentices will complete a Diploma in Government.
Jobs and placements
You can apply for a role in one or more locations. We’ll place you in a location based on your preferences and business needs.
Your application will be considered for all participating departments depending on the preferences you indicate.
If you’re successful, we may offer you a job in more than one department.
Once you commence your placement you will not be able to change.
This year we’re offering a wide range of roles with our department and our partners. They include:
- Australian Bureau of Statistics
- Australian Securities and Investments Commission
- Department of Agriculture and Water Resources
- Department of Defence
- Department of Education and Training
- Department of Finance
- Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
- Department of Health
- Department of Human Services
- Department of Home Affairs
- Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet
- Department of Social Services
- Department of Veterans' Affairs
- National Disability Insurance Agency
More departments may come on board in the coming months. Bookmark this page and check for updates on the IAP’s new partner departments or agencies.