We’re looking for enthusiastic, motivated Indigenous Australians who want to contribute to the Australian Public Service (APS).
We are looking for people who:
- identify as Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australian
- are school leavers, mature age or people with disability
- have strong initiative and are willing to learn
- want to contribute to services for Australians
- want to work in the APS
Apprentice placements vary depending on the agency you are placed in. Some of your duties may include:
- drafting documents and correspondence
- assisting with administrative tasks
- travel management
- responding to customer queries
To apply for an apprenticeship you must:
- provide evidence of your Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australian heritage
- be an Australian citizen when you apply
There are no minimum qualifications required – but a year 10 certificate is preferred.
You can’t apply if:
- you don’t identify as an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australian
- you have received a redundancy benefit or incentive to retire payment from an APS agency or the Australian Parliamentary Service, unless you have served the applicable redundancy benefit restriction period
- you are not an Australian citizen when you apply
Meet current apprentices
There are apprentices throughout the government working in a range of areas. In 2016, over 200 Indigenous apprentices started the programme.